12. Telling the girls

Today I didn't feel like facing school. I would have to tell Marian and the girls because they would know something was up and not let it go.

I walked into school and I went over to them, greeting all of them with a hug.

"Hey, Ness!"

"Hey Marian." I replied weakly.

"What's up hunny! You can tell us."

"Ok, please don't tell anyone though."

"Of course not."

"Thank you. My brother went into hospital yesterday and has been diagnosed with......"

I was already snivelling by this point.

"With what babe"

"Um.....uh......CANCER!"

"Oh Hun"

Marian gave me a big hug and made me feel better. She was one of those girls who are very comforting and always call you names like Babe and Hun

They were shocked that this had happened.

"I don't how you can cope and not tell us" Stella butted in.

"I only found out two days ago and well what else can I do? I have to stay strong for my parents and my brother"

I could hardly say 'my brother' It was so hard. I may not be able to say this that much in the future. He may not live!

"What about you? About your feelings? You have to be able to cry as well. Although maybe we should change the subject, you probably don't any to talk about it."

"It's alright I mean, I don't mind it but I don't want to go into the details and I especially don't ant anybody else to find out, promise?"

"Ok, don't worry we won't tell a soul, will we girls?" Marian questioned.

They all shock their heads but I saw Marian give them all a little smile as I looked at them. She was probably thanking them for agreeing and making it easier for me. Maybe that was a good think.

I guessed that my sort of secret was safe with them and that the were there for me through thick and thin.