Chapter 24 - Edited

Start from the beginning

“Hi.” He said shyly. I almost squealed at how cute he looked.

“Mari is the only girl in this pack, and as you already know, she is my third in command.” Max explained, mostly to River. The other two, Drey and Trevor, were listening too. I eyed their expression when they heard Max say I was the only female in the pack and I almost broke into a fit of laughter.

Their mouths' almost dropped to the floor and they glanced at each other with fear in their eyes. I guess they were players then. I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest before thinking to myself, 'Well that sucks for them, because they were definitely not getting any of this anytime soon.' That was for sure.

“Wow...” River responded in awe. We made eye contact, my blue eyes meeting with his amber ones. “Do I know you?”

I nodded my head, “You might have seen me before when I used to be in the Rift Valley Pack.”

“Were you... Ray's mate?” He questioned, recognition flashing in his eyes as he gazed up at me. I nodded again. “I was.” I said to him, before Max spoke once again, cutting into the awkward conversation.

“How about to reassure all of you and bring you closer to our pack, you guys come with us on our pack run today?”

“You guys have pack runs?”

“Today? But we need to settle in first. I haven't even seen my room yet!” Both Drey and Trevor said this at the same time, but River only looked down, glancing at the boys next to him. I glared at both of them, my eyes softening when I looked back at River. He was still acting as if he was an omega.

“Before I answer any questions, I just want to make this clear.” I cleared my throat before continuing when I had everyone's attention, “You guys all lose your ranks that you had in the other pack. There is no other rank to fill, so you all will be just regular pack members.” I made sure they all heard, making my voice loud even though they were right in front of me.

I saw River's face brighten when he heard me. I was glad that he at knew that. He didn't have to take such pain and torture as he did in the Rift Valley Pack anymore. I wanted him to start over. I barely know the boy, but I just wanted this for him. Partly for what had happened to me in that pack, and also because I had the need to protect and care for him. Though he was probably my age, it didn't matter. It was sort of a brother/sister relationship I guess. I never had a brother before, so from now on I will treat him like my first and only.

I glanced at Max to see he was grinning at me with a proud expression on his face. I returned it, glad I was able to do something right being the third in command of this pack. I nodded at him to answer Drey and Trevor's questions. He mouthed, 'Oh,' before speaking.

“Since the war, we didn't want to run into more trouble by letting our wolves run out by themselves, so we decided on pack runs on Fridays.” Max said to the three boys who sat in their chairs. They all nodded slowly before Max continued.

“You will all see your rooms now. After a couple hours, I will send someone up to get you guys so we can eat dinner and head out for the pack run.”