11 | Old Ex/Friend/Prankster

Start from the beginning

"Of course we missed you, idiot!" Logan practically scolded, bumping her head with his knuckle. Siobhan's eyes swivelled to the other boys, stopping at Robin. The lines beside her eyes wrinkled when she shot Robin a painful smile. I glanced at Robin, watching as he tried to smile but ended up grimacing before he stared at the ground. What was that about?

"What? Are all of you just going to stand there and not give me a proper welcome hug?" Siobhan scoffed, narrowing her eyes at them. It was as if the shock wore off and everyone was able to move their limbs again. Asher and Robin almost tripped on their own feet trying to run over to engulf her in their arms, which was a strange but endearing sight.

Only Yuko and I stood frozen in our spot, but for completely different reasons. I stood still because I was pretty sure she'd punch me for hugging her, while Yuko just looked dumbstruck.

"Did that idiot girl break into my property?" I heard him mutter under his breath.

"I can hear you, Yuko! And don't worry, Reiko let me in," Siobhan hollered from somewhere in the mass of tangled limbs. I smiled with wry amusement, rather entertained at the sight of everyone trying to get a chance to hug their old friend.

When they finally let her go, her bright eyes landed on me. Her wide grin faded into a thin line, and her eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"What's she doing here?" Siobhan asked. I pursed my lips, not surprised at the coldness. The last time she saw me was at the Senior's Ball, when I was slow-dancing with Yuko. Let's just say Siobhan and Yuko had...history, and she wasn't exactly a happy camper when she saw me with him. In fact, she was a very, very jealous camper.

All seven pairs of eyes landed on me, making me squirm under their gaze. None of them were hostile, except from Siobhan. Most of them just looked plain curious. I pursed my lips, realising that Yuko didn't tell them that I was coming along.

Why not? Was he embarrassed, or something?

"My parents invited her to join us during graduation," Yuko said. "So I asked her to come along."

"Graduation? That's hardly three days ago. How did you manage to get your parents to agree?" Asher asked, furrowing his eyebrows slightly in confusion. I bit my lip, smiling tightly.

I didn't even have to try to get them to let me go to Japan. In fact, I texted my Father to ask him if I could go to Japan, and he just replied, 'Noted.' An hour later, I received an email that my dad had booked me a first class ticket to Kyoto, Japan.

"My parents didn't mind," I explained softly, tracing a circle in the tatami may with my toe. "Lucky, I guess."

"Yeah, lucky," Siobhan scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"Siobhan," Emily said softly, averting the Irish girl's attention away from me. "How have you been? Japan's been good, right?"

Siobhan blinked, as if seeing Emily for the first time. The last time I checked, they weren't extremely close. I wanted to think that Emily was just trying to help me, as ridiculous as it sounds.

"Japan's been fine," she almost snapped, causing Asher to frown slightly.

"Let's get to our rooms," Reiko said excitedly, painfully unaware of the rising tension. Yuko, still dumbfounded, slowly nodded.

"Yes. Rooms. Let's go," he coughed, rubbing his palms against his jeans.

-

I stood staring at the silk kimono that laid sprawled out on the plush, king-sized mattress. Intricate flower designs were embroidered into the cloth, making the clothing an art piece in itself.

Am I supposed to wear that?

"Of course, idiot," I murmured under my breath. "We're going to have a traditional Japanese dinner with Yuko's family!"

Running a hand through my frazzled hair and sighed, how the hell does one wear a kimono?

Knock, knock.

I turned around, rushing to the door and pulling it open. I blinked in surprise when I realised it was Emily standing outside.

"Hello!" she chirped, giggling nervously. She held up a kimono of her own, one that was baby blue in colour. "Mind if I get ready with you?"

"Oh, um. No," I stuttered, opening the door wider.

Why the hell am I acting like a schoolboy that has a damn crush on her?

Composing myself, I coughed slightly and stood up straighter. I gestured to her, and with a tight smile, I said, "Come in, come in."

Shooting me a grateful smile, she skipped into the room with her kimono in hand and nothing else.

"Your kimono is so pretty!" Emily gushed, fingering the silk between her fingers. I smiled slightly, nodding my thanks.

"Yours looks great, too."

"Well, we have approximately an hour to get ready. So, uh, chop chop?" Emily giggled, shooting me a smile.

Blinking, I nodded unsurely. Time to get ready with Emily Park, I guess.

-

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter :D Remember to vote & comment & add me to your reading lists! <3

Image: The Hideyoshis' Palace, originally the Matsue Castle.

Character Polaroid: Siobhan Lanigan, played by Abby Harris.

Song of the Chapter: Knee Socks, by Arctic Monkeys. For all of you new readers, Siobhan and Yuko used to be a thing (which explains the lyrics)!