Chapter .01 - Cracking The Case

Derek called the pack to an emergency meeting again—they seem to be having a lot of these lately but Derek promised this one was actually important. Though one could argue his definition of important compared to anyone else's would vary profoundly.

Beacon Hills seems to be fighting supernatural creatures of different sorts every week—it really was no surprise that this week would be the same and Derek was determined to get their studying down to a science before anything bad could actually happen.

Let's just say he's been stressed recently what with all the training sessions, reading, and still managing to fit school into the packs schedule, they have been very busy. Derek has become obsessed with maintaining the pack's agility and awareness. He doesn't want any more lives to be lost and it seems like a reasonable trade-off.

"So are you ever going to tell us why we're here or do we have to figure it out ourselves because I have plenty of other places I could be right now," Stiles sassed, for lack of a better term. He didn't actually have anywhere he needed to be but Derek was wasting his time—Stiles knows this will be just like their emergency meeting two days ago, pointless. He could be home playing Xbox or better yet, sleeping.

"Oh yeah? What other places could you possibly need to be Stilinski?" Jackson countered. Their pack has to admit, though, the two of them were getting better—definitely addressing each other with more respect than they previously did. It's a work in progress.

"As a matter of fact Jackson there are plen—," Stiles shot back before Derek decided to rudely interrupt the argument Stiles was sure he would win.

"We don't have time for this," Derek ordered. The two of them shut up in a heartbeat. As much confidence as Stiles has, recently he's been becoming more appreciative of his role in the pack, where even though Derek isn't the alpha, he has more authority and if the sourwolf finds this important than perhaps he should as well.

For the most part, everyone in the pack wore the same looks on their faces—boredom. Slowly, their days had all been blending together becoming weeks of déjà vu. Hopefully, this time, one of Derek's leads actually leads somewhere.

"I have a new proposition. Peter contacted me the other day and before everyone gets out of control, I think he may be on to something. It's about the unusual creatures we've been seeing recently. The ones that don't seem to fit. Well, Peter has reason to believe that it may be a different form of the supernatural. When I say that however, I don't mean categories like werewolves and kitsune's, I mean a whole new level of supernatural."

Derek was sure he lost all of his pack members in that confusing statement but he feels strong about this proposal. He believes it full heartedly.

"Okay. So say there is this other level of supernatural. What would they be?" Lydia asked. She raised her eyebrows and her face scrunched up the way it does when she's on to something.

Derek stood up from his spot on the sofa, walked over to the bookshelf and carefully removed about 5 encyclopedias and other old historical books that looked much like the bestiary.

He walked back over and dropped them on the table in front of the pack.

"That's where these come in. We have no time to waste. If we start now we might be able to get through most of these. We just need to read them and if anything jumps out that could be even remotely helpful notify the rest of us. I think this could help speed up the process and if it is another form of supernatural creature it has to be in at least one of these books," Derek explained, handing out books to each member of the pack.