Chapter Seventeen: The Thing I Feared Most

Mo and I relaxed on the couch. Johnny sat on the other side of me.
    "Do you ever want to go home?" Mo asked. Why was she asking that?
    "Maybe? I don't know," I said.
    "I hate 2016," she said, sticking out her to tongue. I laughed.
"But don't you ever want to see your parents again?" I asked, curious.
"No? I honestly think that I have all I want right here," Mo said. And she was telling the truth. For the whole time I had known her, Mo had been obsessing over the Outsiders. She wished on every shorting star, on every eyelash, and on every dandelion fluff to be able to go into the Outsiders. Sure, I wanted to go home. I had other friends I missed and even a boy back home who I liked. But Johnny and I were a thing, and maybe would always be a thing. Was I willing to give up al of this for my family? Or would I stay here?
    I sat on the couch later with Johnny. I then saw Mo climb the stairs from the basement with something in her hands. She smiled sadly at me and flipped through what was in her hands. It was a book. Suddenly my heart raced. She held the Outsiders.
    "Put that down!" I screamed. She glared at me.
    "No," she said simply. "I think we should go home. People there need us." I shook my head and glanced at Johnny.
    "I have everything I have ever wanted and dreamed of here. I have good friends whom I love. And I'm dating flipping Johnny Cade!" I yelled. She looked defeated.
    "Alright. I can't go back without you," she said. I sat down next to Johnny, on the verge of tears. He kissed me.
    "What's wrong?" He asked.
    "Mo wants to go home but if we go, I might never be able to get back to you," I said. He then kissed me again, his hands winding around my waist. I wrapped my hands around his neck. He then pulled away and put his forehead to mine.
    "Please don't leave," he said.   
    "I'd never leave you," I whispered.
    "Good," Johnny said, smirking. "Because I have a very important question for you."
    Johnny led me out of the house. He had had me close my eyes. He took my hands.
    "Open your eyes," he said. I opened my eyes and saw that the whole front yard looked incredible. Christmas lights hung from poles, lighting up the darkening air. I grinned. Johnny then pulled me close to him. He then hugged me tight. After, he walked over to a radio and tuned it on. A classical song played. Johnny put his hands on my waist and I put mine on his shoulders. He smiled, and we began to slow dance. After the song was over, he knelt in front of me. Was he proposing?! I smiled as he took out a small box.
    "Ainsley Adelaide Kameron," he started. "I know you and I are young, and I know marriage right now will look odd, but I can't deny that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"
    "Yes!" I screamed. He slipped the ring on my finger and barely had enough time to stand up before I kissed him. I wound my hands through his dark hair and he held me close. Suddenly, I felt something touch my shoulder. I glanced Mo touching my shoulder with the Outsiders, and then everything went white.
    My vision went normal and I found myself standing where I had been sucked into the book. Mo stood next to me.
    "No1" I seethed. "No! I WAS JUST ENGAGED TO FLIPPING JOHNNY CADE!" I kicked the ground and stole the book from Mo's grasp. Tears poured down my face and I sank to the ground, flipping through the pages.