Chapter nine: Stay Gold

I woke up to daylight streaming in through the cracked roof. Johnny was holding on to me, making me grin. He then stirred and opened his eyes.
"Hey Ainsley," he said.
"'Morning Johnny," I said. I then heard Pony and Mo stir and get up.
"Alright you two, cuddle-fest is over," Mo said, standing by us with her hands on her hips and a smirk on her face. I groaned and got up. Mo smirked at me.
        "Hey Pony, want to start where you left off? Oh, and sorry girls, but we started without you guys," Johnny said. I shrugged. B
        "Ok," Pony said. "Nature's first green is gold, Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;  But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf, So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day, Nothing gold can stay." I grinned at Mo, who grinned at me. I raced to her, and we began jumping up and down. The boys just stared at us.
      "Oh. My. Gawd!!" She squealed.
      "The poem!!!" I shouted.
      "Can't believe it!" She shouted. We then calmed down a bit, but still grinned at each other. Johnny and Pony just stared at us in confusion.
      "Don't judge," Mo said. Both boys shrugged and Pony continued to read. Mo and I kept glancing at each other.
       It was two days after Pony had read the poem, and I heard someone outside the church. I peeked through one of the boarded up windows and saw Dally grinning back at me. Sighing, I helped him tear off a few of the boards. He climbed inside. Mo looked at him sadly, then down at her shoes. He walked over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder.
      "Sorry, gal. I was acting stupidly," he apologized. Mo immediately stood up and embraced him. He retuned the hug. I smiled at them.
       "You guys wanna go get some food?" Dally asked.
       "Yes!" Pony exclaimed. "Anything but baloney." I laughed and so did Mo.
       We all piled into the car Dally had brought. Mo sat up front with him, and Pony, Johnny, and I sat in the back. We drove into Windrixville, and pulled up to the Dairy Queen. We each had, like, two burgers. Dally laughed.
         "You guys must've been starving to eat that much!" He said. Johnny and Pony vigorously nodded. I realized that when we went back, the church will be on fire, and Pony and Johnny will rush in. I looked at Mo and I could tell she was just as scared and nervous as I was.
       We drove back, and just as I knew it would be, the church was on fire. I nodded at Mo, and even before the teacher could yell that kids were inside, we had jumped out of the car and were running into the church. The heat from the fire felt hotties against my bare skin. I heard yells and shouts so I ran to where the kids were. Mo ripped the boards from the window and I helped kids out. Johnny and Pony showed up, and helped us get the last of the kids. Pony went out the window first. Then Mo went out. I saw the beam fall, and tried to push Johnny out of the way, but a board under my foot gave out and I got stuck. Then everything went black.