7. The First Game

Start from the beginning

My body felt sluggish and heavy. Although my stomach growled, I opted to go to bed instead. I washed off my makeup, and then settling into bed, I waited for another dreamless sleep to take me.

Tossing and turning, I couldn't sleep. The wind whistled its somber tune while the birds' wings flapped against my window. Shivering, I pulled my blanket over my shoulder as goose bumps made its way across my skin. I must have forgotten to close my window. Laying on my back, I debated whether I should stand up and close it. My exhaustion won as I remained still on my cold hard bed. 

"Well, if it isn't my favorite player." His cool familiar voice taunted me.

My eyes opened in shock as a wave of panic surged through me.

"Daemon." I whispered.

I sat up and I found that I was no longer on my bed or my room. Instead, I was lying on a smooth polished floor that reminded me of a sea of shadow. Swallowing the scream that threatened to leave my lips, I forced myself to speak. "I guess the game has begun."

My heart was  in my chest and my stomach dropped. I'm scared and I don't want him to know if I'm not prepared.

A familiar voice shrieked in annoyance. "Where the hell am I! Ugh, what am I even wearing?"

Brittany's face came into view. Her face crunched into a frown when she saw me.

"You!" she yelled in accusation.

She sauntered towards me before an invisible wall halted her steps.

I looked around. Daemon disappeared. Figures.

Suddenly, his voice rang throughout the room.

"My dear Celeste, I never lose. I'll enjoy seeing you and your friends play in this little game of ours." Daemon smirked, his eyes flashing in amusement.

"We'll prove you wrong. Just make sure you hold up to the rules of the game." I yelled.

"Of course, winner takes all." He replied softly.

Silence fell before us. Brittany was fuming and pacing around the room. As she fumed, I examined the room before me. Were we in Chinvat? I was not entirely sure. I turned the knob of the mahogany door before me. It opened slightly. I pushed it open and was met with a dark empty hallway. It was dimly lit, with candles lighting our path. It reminded me of the hallways in horror movies.

"Where the hell are you going?" Brittany asked as she grabbed my shoulder roughly to face her.

"I'm trying to get out of here." I sniffed as I pulled my shoulder away from her.

I didn't need her attitude at this moment. I was exhausted, hungry, and annoyed. It was not a good combination.

This game was based on fear. I thought to myself. What is Brittany most afraid of? I thought about everything I know about Brittany, especially the day when I first met her.

It was another day at school. My freshman year with Angelo. We have our own group of friends but I was not close with them like I was with Angelo. It was a normal November day, chilly in the morning, and freezing in the afternoon. In my first period of Geometry Honors class, a beautiful girl sat next to me. I later found out her name was Brittany Reed. She had the proud look painted on her face along with her Tory Burch flats and designer clothes that I've never even heard of since I couldn't afford to buy that stuff.

No one liked her immediately. She claimed to be the daughter of the famous movies stars, Graham and Alexandria Reed. Another attention seeker in Infernaluz High School. Who does she think she is? Of course, I didn't want to be friends with her until I saw her cornered in the girls' bathroom. I wondered, if her parents were so famous, wouldn't she have her own bodyguard?