Involuntary Misfortune [8]

Start from the beginning

Stepping back, he pushed both hands in his jacket pockets and looked over at the closed windows. Maybe she wasn't home? But the sound of shuffling inside proved him wrong.

"Who is it?" Came a feminine voice.

"Ah...special delivery?" He answered hesitantly. He didn't know what to say exactly, he couldn't tell her the truth, anything but that. The door opened and a small smile touched his lips. The red haired woman stared at him in dismay, her hand clenching the handle of the door. He made a move to get closer, but was stopped by her swinging the door shut. "Wait!" He exclaimed stopping it with his hand.

"So help me, if you don't get out of here I'm calling the police," she muttered glaring at him.

The blonde haired man sighed, "just let me explain."

She folded her arms over her bust and tapped her right foot, "I'm waiting."

"I wasn't trying to kidnap your chil-Maki...it's a long story really, but I was just trying to help her."

She narrowed her eyes at him, "and you expect me to believe that?"

He rolled his blue eyes and sighed, "listen, all I wanted was to give that little girl a home. I guess I wouldn't think she's a homeless orphan if you had been a better mother," he gritted out.

"Are you criticizing my parenting skills?" She asked shocked.

"I call 'em as I see 'em," he shrugged.

She scoffed, "why are you here?"

He withdrew her purse from his pocket and held it up, "you dropped this after-"

"-I kicked your ass," she interjected with a triumphant smile.

"Whatever," he muttered.

There was a moment of awkward silence between them just then as they both had nothing more to say. He cleared his throat and held the purse out for her to take it. She hesitated before taking it, "uh...arigato."

"No problem," he said staring into her eyes. They were nice, black with a hint of blue and...purple? His attention shifted when a furry creature wrapped itself around her foot.

She smiled and picked it up, "Mitsuru." It was a white baby fox with tips of red on it's tail and black on both it's ears.

"Well...I'll be going now," he said turning to leave.

She bit her lip before calling out to him, "Ayame."

He smiled, "I know."

"What's your name?"

"Deidara," he said smiling but not turning around.

Ayame placed Mitsuru on the carpeted floor, "would you like to stay for breakfast?"

At that he turned to face her, "are you hitting on me?"

The red haired girl's face turned crimson, "don't flatter yourself Blondie."

He smirked and decided to stay, walking quickly towards the house, he discarded his jacket once inside. "Where's Maki?"