"This is probably lame but I'm such a big fan." The waitress straightens up, looking completely unaffected by the dilation of Taylor's pupils and her blatant staring. When Taylor says nothing, Selena nudges her sharply in the ribs. She jumps and lets out a surprised little yelp, banging her knee against the underside of the table. Her face gets even redder when she sees a little grin spread across the waitress's face. Taylor reminds herself to kill Selena when they get home. Maybe Cara will help her dispose of the body. 

"Oh, um." Taylor tries to collect herself, formulating her words sluggishly thanks to how much tequila she's consumed. "Thanks for saying that! Quick, favorite song?"

"Love Story." Her answer is almost automatic, and Taylor grins widely.

"I've actually been thinking of doing a little revival of Love Story! Keep that on the down low though, it's a secret."

"My lips are sealed."

Taylor's eyes dart down to the waitress's lips. She only looks for a second but it's long enough to make all kinds of confusing thoughts run through her head.

"What's your name?" Selena is the one to ask, and she doesn't even attempt to hide the smirk that's plastered across her face. 

"Karlie."

Selena nudges Taylor again, silently urging her to continue engaging the waitress in trivial conversation. For once, Taylor can think of nothing to say. You'd think being a world renowned songwriter and having her fair number of romantic encounters would prepare her for this kind of thing, but she is at a loss. It's disconcerting.

Seeing that her friend is drowning, Selena sighs and takes matters into her own hands once again. "So Karlie, do ya like girls?"

Taylor viciously shoots her leg out to kick Selena. She doesn't have the best aim while drunk – it's even questionable when she's sober – so her foot connects with Cara's shin instead. The model almost jumps out of her seat, a look of pain marring her face.

"Bloody hell! What the fuck?!" She hisses as she glares between Selena and Taylor, wondering who did it. Taylor whispers a panicked 'sorry!' hoping that Karlie doesn't pay the odd exchange much mind. When Taylor looks back up at Karlie, she can tell that the waitress is fighting a smile.

"So?" Selena presses, eyeing Karlie curiously.

"I like women."

The pointed correction isn't lost on Taylor. Does that mean she likes them older or something? And if so, how old? Betty White old or Sandra Bullock old? Taylor is neither of those things, and she feels the little sliver of hope in her chest wither away.

Why do I care anyway?

"Are we talking about cougars?" Cara raises an inquisitive eyebrow, still rubbing at her shin underneath the table. Karlie lets out a peal of laughter, and the sound pulls at Taylor's heartstrings. This girl is literal perfection. Even her laugh is cute.

"It's not really an age requirement, it's a maturity thing."

"Well Taylor here is super mature. Like, she's literally twenty-four going on fifty." Selena is not subtle at all. Karlie flashes Taylor a little smile, her green eyes twinkling. Taylor wishes the floor would open up and swallow her whole, because all she can do is flush red and give an awkward grin back. She knew she should've just had a nice, tame night in. She could be curled up on the couch watching Law and Order with a cup of tea and her cats lying at her feet. Instead, she's sitting in a dingy bar while her friends mercilessly embarrass her.

"Yeah, so you should totally give her your number." Cara adds.

Taylor's entire world comes crashing down around her. She lets out an indignant noise but her friends ignore her, not even glancing in her direction. As if they're not trying to set her up with some bar waitress! A beautiful bar waitress, but a bar waitress!