Chapter 52 : Seisi - Spice up your Life

Magsimula sa umpisa

His father stared morosely into his wineglass.

Rani-Ra, who was nimbly dissecting a piece of pizza garnished with shellfish among sludgy green leaves, looked up and grinned at her brother. 'You're a nutter, but you're not dense. What have you got in mind, bro?'

Trueth had been fanning her face and drinking more water. She stabbed her finger in Metjen's direction as if he was just another olive. 'Why are you so shit-hot on going back? Would it not be better just to stay here and forget that place? After saving my witches, of course. If Imhotep is so keen on doing his thing, why not let him?'

The Lady Nefertiti threw up her hands, then rose to help herself from the salads parked on a side table. Speaking over her shoulder, she said 'That's what I was trying to say the whole time. One could say we have done our duty, and just leave it at that?'

She sat down again, placed her plate on the table and started eating with an innocent expression on her face that was belied by the mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

'Nice try, ladies, ' Metjen said. 'I can't just vamoose. If I was out of sync with this world before, I'm even more so now. And the rest of you are not much better. But my real problem is Imhotep. If I let him carry on like that,  means I leave the others in the lurch and you know that full well mother, this is not my style.'

'I agree, ' said the professor, biting into a crispy piece strewn with colourful vegetables. 'Plus, I dare say, digging for the remains of a world that you know is still out there somewhere is simply not the same. I want to be in it.' He smiled affectionately at his wife. ' And you my dear, are pure magic. You can't be anywhere else but in Kemet.'

She returned the fond expression and snatched a slice of pizza off his plate. 'Fine, then we are at least all agreed, I only wanted to be sure.'

'We are very pleased,' said Pharaoh somewhat shyly. 'We were worried we would have to remain in this world forever. Not that it is that bad, even if it is full of demons.' He turned towards Metjen. 'We do not understand what is happening here. I...We have seen a world full of suffering and a few truly evil people. But not a single demon. When they appeared in Kemet the first time, they were very visible. Putrid, vicious monsters!' Pharaoh sawed his pizza apart and shoved it into his mouth.

Metjen snorted. 'After all this time, they look like humans. But they're evil in disguise. And of course, they have found so many human followers. Losers, taking the easy way. Now for a lot of people, humanity is only skin-deep and the monsters look like your next door neighbour. It's all mixed up. That's what makes it so hard to work out who your enemy is.'

Pharaoh nodded pensively.

'So we go?' asked Rani-Ra. 'There's only one point that bothers me a bit.'

The professor raised his digit. 'I believe I know what you mean. Should we not consider saving this world for a change.'

Rani-Ra applauded slowly. 'Thanks Dad, for stealing my thunder. But yeah, that's what Rano and I discussed yesterday.'

Her brother nodded, but could not contribute with his mouth full.

Metjen dropped his cutlery and pushed his plate away. 'Let's save one world at a time, okay? I think we are all agreed. We will return to Kemet and take it from there. And I'll tell you how we do it. '

With a sinking feeling in his stomach, Seisi realised that the others were looking everywhere but at Trueth. Or at him. He knew what this meant. She might not want to join them. He had just found his love. He could not lose her again. He simply could not—Trueth's hand stole into his, he focussed on her and saw a radiant smile backlighting the freckles.