Cursary - Characters, Mythology and Historical Facts

Please note - this chapter should be at the end of whatever has been published so far at all times. If it isn't, it has escaped. In that case please notify the author, who is in charge of maintaining some form of law and order in this novel, even if the characters do not. 

THE PEOPLE OF CURSED TIMES

Migrants from 21century Earth aka 'Demon World': 

Trueth Deveril: Social anthropologist, an ex-call centre agent on top of being one of the last European witches, also called the 'People of the Mist'. Had not planned to join the Al-Nours on their trip through the portal. Plans can go wrong.Pronunciation: Trùe - eth. TRUE as in correct, 'eth' as in the male name 'Seth' - which also belongs to a very dodgy Egyptian god.

Metjen Al-Nour: A not so diligent servant of the sun god Ra. The vote is still out as to what is more frightening - the strength of his magical talents - or his temperament. He is the cliché tall dark-haired protagonist a novel is not supposed to have. This one does. Go figure.Pronunciation: Mèt-shun (MET as in metropolis) Àl-Noor. (Nour in Arabic means 'light').

Hassan Al-Nour aka 'The Professor': Ex-lecturer of archaeology at Giza university, has changed professions recently. Responsible for the excavations which unearthed Imhotep's magical wall. Among other things.

Nefertiti Al-Nour: His wife. Mother of Metjen and the twins. Apart from being a determined chef, she keeps a lot of secrets. As mothers do.

Rani-Ra and Ranofer aka 'The Twins': Rani-Ra might not be quite as fearsome as her older brother, but she definitely is a force to be reckoned with. Ranofer is usually underestimated but has his moments.Pronunciation: Ranee-RA (emphasis on second syllable), RA-nofer (think nano and just add fer)

Iseret: Ex high-priestess of the shrine of Ra, the last temple of the sun god in the modern world. She died to open the portal. In the minds of her minions, she is very much alive.Pronunciation: Iseret - Eeh-sur-et (e as in 'egg')

Servants of Ra (and Hathor): The inmates of said shrine. Only 17 of them crossed through the portal. The others are dead - if they are lucky.

Nebmutef: Another ex-inmate of the same shrine. Joined the opposition as he felt his skills were not appreciated by either Iseret or her deputy, Metjen.Pronunciation: Neb-mooh-teff - emphasis on second syllable.

Ptahmes - A villainous villain. Is the THE baddie though? Pronuncation: Ptàch-mees (the 'ch' sound as in the Scottish loch, emphasis on first syllable)

The people of the Kemet civilisation (ancient name for Egypt, meaning 'Black Land')Pronunciation: Kay-MET, emphasis on second syllable.

Seisi Son of Thutra: A holy spy, had a confrontation with the dark priests and spent 5000 years in a tank embalmed in magical fluids. Having got out, he has to keep running to get fit again. He's running a lot.Pronunciation: Say-easy (emphasis on first syllable).

Imhotep: One of the few historical figures in the novel. Physicist, vizier, architect, high priest, advisor to Pharaoh - the archaeologists are still digging for his grave. 'Cursed Times' explains why they have not found it - he is still alive.Pronunciation: Eem-ho-tepp (ee as in 'seem', e as in 'egg'), emphasis on first syllable.

Pharaoh: Has an unpronounceable name and is the fourteen-year-old son of Pharao Djoser, who led the soldiers of the light, five thousand years ago. They were meant to protect the portal from the dark priests. They failed and things went a bit wrong. His offspring finds himself without papa and is not amused.

Seisi's extended family: There are a lot of them. Let's stick with father Thutra the potter, mother Tuya, sister Kiya (Trueth's assistant in the temple of Selket), his four brothers, including the rogue Emeni, and two more sisters plus grandmother, uncles, aunts, cousins... .