Chapter 10 - Seisi: Courting

Persistent gonging sounded through the haze in Seisi's mind.

Had he missed the morning lectures in the temple school? The result of his lapse would be painful, the lector priest tended to pull him up from his mat by his ear and make him stand in the heat for hours. Seisi ran his tongue over his teeth. It felt as if he had already been out in that sun-baked enclosure, his throat was parched, and the taste in his mouth was reminiscent of a demon's urinal. Trying to rid himself of the cobwebs of his dreams he rolled over—and fell out of a bed that was not his. At least this time he had not ended up in the Nile.

Had he lain with a woman? It was possible, yet he cared only for one and she would not let him into a heart that Metjen was still occupying. At least his noble friend did not share her nights as well, so there was hope still. Seisi sat up and checked—no woman, but this was not the cot in his temple cell either. Movement made his head swim, his stomach roil and finally he made the connection. He was an invited guest in the home of the Suka nobles and had shared a few cups of good wine with his friend the previous night. Far too many cups, to judge by his thirst and the taste in his mouth. How he wished Trueth had not left, not only because he adored her, but he would also have drunk a lot less.

The gong from his dreams sounded again, echoing through the corridors, halls and chambers of the palace.

'What the fuck is going on?' Seisi heard Metjen's voice on the balcony that connected the many chambers of his palace apartment. He spoke in a volume that pained Seisi's head, but also brought back the memories of last night. 

Arms over each other's shoulders, they had staggered up the staircase, singing the holy songs in praise of Shesmu, the underworld deity associated with fermented grapes. Nobody had taken offence at their pious exploits, noisy as they had been, given that the balcony faced only gardens at the back of the noble mansion.

'Seisi?'

Metjen's shadow appeared in front of the crimson curtain that covered the opening to the balcony. The colour hurt Seisi's mind like a bruise; Metjen's head could only be made of granite, even if his heart was not. He had shared many of his woes last night, his concerns about his life at the temple and as a member of Imhotep's family. A happy man his friend was not.

'Give me a few moments. I have to ready myself.'Seisi stumbled into the bathing stall, where fresh clothing and soft leather sandals awaited him. As did scented water, a tooth stick and cleaning powders.

I must not get used to such luxuries, Seisi thought.Of course, he had been much fraught recently, risking his life on Imhotep's secret errands, so maybe he was owed some respite.

The gonging had stopped.

Seisi proceeded outside, rubbing his hands to rid himself of the sandalwood oil he had used on his body. Metjen was nowhere in sight, but he could hear voices drifting up from the staircase at the far end of the balcony. Seisi rushed along and thumped down the stairs into a courtyard filled with his friends from the demon world, as well as a group of Suka nobles all milling around the Lord Imhotep air-seated in their midst. The professor was facing the Suka overlord with a flush in his face.

'There you are.' Metjen had sought shade under a group of sycamores in the far corner together with Rani-Ra and Ranofer. 'What took you so long?'

'He probably didn't want to turn up buck naked.' Ranofer grinned at Seisi. 'Doesn't go down well with the ladies.'

'You have no idea given that you're no lady,' Rani-Ra said.

Metjen boxed his brother on the arm, then turned to Seisi. 'Pharaoh requests our presence; Imhotep wants us to go visit the king at court to redeem this noble house, and father is not happy. Nor is mother.'