Chapter 12: Trueth - Council of War Part 1

That was really clever of you, dear,' mother said and patted Seisi's arm. 'I was about to have a fit when Pharaoh came out with that bit about the great wife.'

The others yelled their agreement; all members of the Al-Nour family seemed incapable of keeping conversational noise levels within normal parameters. As they marched through the torch-lit Suka estate, their recollections of the royal visit ricocheted through the labyrinth of formal gardens and courtyards, releasing some of the tension that had accumulated during the day.

'So annoying we could not discuss things earlier, all these pesky soldiers on the boat.' Rani-Ra was gliding along, a vision in pink. 'I must admit, they did seem rather dishy, what do you think, Tru?'

Trueth trod on the hem of her dress and swore.

'Khasekhemwy meant well', the professor said. 'He wanted to honour us. I wish I could publish a paper on the equipment of the royal guards. Those scimitars were absolutely fascinating.'

'Who?' Trueth bunched the fabric of her robe in one hand to keep it off her sandalled feet.

'Pharaoh. He's named after his grandfather, bit of a mouthful, I agree,' the professor said.

'I wouldn't mind having one of those sword thingies, they look cool,' Ranofer said. He batted at a couple of moths that seemed to mistake him for a flame.

'Bit unwieldy for shaving. Not that you need to bother much.' His sister floated up the stairs into the brightness of the entrance hall where musk-scented coolness embraced them back into the palatial fold.

Seisi walked beside Trueth, his thoughts well-hidden behind his charming smile. Time to coax a response from the spymaster, Trueth thought.

Thanks for the compliment about my age!

What was I to say? The way he was ogling the two of you had me deeply worried, Seisi responded. And the ruse of the Lord Hanis was clearly not working.

The idea wasn't so bad at all. Pharaoh IS still mourning for his father and nuptials are out of the question. But it wouldn't have got him off our backs forever.

The corners of Seisi's mouth twitched once.

Trueth boxed him on the arm to emphasise her next point. But to say I'm well advanced in years is a bit cheeky. You could have used the same excuse as you did for Rani. I mean, bloody hell, we both have sun-flow, and he doesn't like that! And she too is older than the good king. Five years is a lot for a baby like him!

Seisi hid his laugh behind his hand. Forgive me, if I have caused offence. Yours is a beauty not common in the land of Kemet. He would want to-eh- sample it. So I had to make sure he would desire you no longer. Pointing out you have a dozen summers on him has achieved my objective, I believe.

You could have just told him my mum worked at the local chippie's. I mean, she worked at a market stall selling fried fish, Trueth projected.

She did that? Seisi's eyebrows were climbing on his forehead.

You know I'm no lady, now you know how unladylike I really am. Tell me something else, did Imhotep come up with that idea for your excuse?

Seisi shook briefly like a dog shedding water. I was, but he suddenly left and I could not reach him again.

He seems to have this knack of going incommunicado when you need him most. Trueth felt annoyed on her friend's behalf.

Seisi threw up his hands. My wishes are inconsequential. In any case, I fear the excuse I found might not have curbed all of Pharaoh's desires, not as far as the Lady Rani-Ra is concerned.