Chapter 11

Katniss

I wake up with a hand on my waist, I freak out and nearly fall out of the bed in my back bedroom. The hand gently wraps tighter around me to keep me from falling, and I turn over and sigh in relief as I see it's only Peeta, who has been staying with me since Delly kicked him out. Since I came home after being raped by my estranged husband who has inconspicuously gone missing.

Only three weeks have passed since then. The bruises have just disappeared from my waist and thankfully, my restraining order has deterred Gale from coming back for me. Word is he's in the Carolinas or something, but I don't think I'll ever sleep soundly until he's locked away for what he did to me. I was awarded all our belongings in the separation, the house, its contents, and both vehicles, which includes his '69 Mustang, which was the only thing left of Gale's I care about.

"Hey, you okay?" Peeta asks brushing my tangled hair away from my face. I nod slowly, but my heart is still trying to tear itself out of my chest.

"I'm fine," I say. "It's just, I woke up and felt your hand griping my waist and I guess I'm still a little jumpy." He leans over and gently kisses my cheek.

"I'm sorry," he says softly. I reach up and gently touch his cheek.

"It isn't your fault," I say. "You have nothing to be sorry about." I lay my hand gently on the slight swell of my abdomen and sigh as I feel that tell tale flutter of Peeta's child moving around inside me.

"You do know it was never my intention to put you in this position," he says.

"I know, but it's where we are now," I say. "There's nothing I would do to change it now." Peeta smiles and lays his hand over mine, causing the baby to squirm like a tadpole in my belly. I sit up and gently remove his hand.

"What's wrong?" He asks. I shake my head as I slowly stand up and go to get my guitar.

"You got the baby all riled up," I say. "How am I ever gonna get to sleep if it's squirming around like this?" I sit down on the edge of the bed, my nightgown riding up my thighs a little. I start strumming the guitar softly and feel Peeta shifts behind me so he's looking over my shoulder.

"What song does she want tonight?" He asks. "The River or Walkaway Joe? Maybe even Three Wooden Crosses?" I shake my head.

"I think we're gonna go a little more Jo Dee Messnia," I say and he nods as I start the first song he ever heard me sing.

"Another day has almost come and gone
Can't imagine what else could go wrong
Sometimes I'd like to hide away somewhere and lock the door
A single battle lost but not the war ('cause)

"Tomorrow's another day
And I'm thirsty anyway
So bring on the rain

"It's almost like the hard times circle 'round
A couple drops and they all start coming down
Yeah, I might feel defeated,
And I might hang my head
I might be barely breathing - but I'm not dead, no ('cause)

"Tomorrow's another day
And I'm thirsty anyway
So bring on the rain

"I'm not gonna let it get me down
I'm not gonna cry
And I'm not gonna lose any sleep tonight ('cause)

"Tomorrow's another day
And I am not afraid
So bring on the rain

"Tomorrow's another day
And I'm thirsty anyway
So bring on the rain

"Bring on the rain; bring on the rain

"Bring on the rain

"Bring on, bring on, the rain" I play the final chord and Peeta kisses my cheek. The baby very slowly settled down and let out a deep breath as I set down my guitar.

"I think you need to start singing again," he says softly.

"We've got a baby on the way," I say laughing. "Chasing my dreams doesn't seem to be that important right now. I've got a good job at the school, with amazing students who I love. And I've got you too, as soon as the divorces are final. I don't need the spotlight too."

"You don't need to lie to me about it," he says. "You literally grab that guitar every chance you get."

"Peeta, sometimes we need to let things go for the things that really matter," I say.

"But I feel like I'm doing what Gale was trying to do," he says softly as I lay back down. "I'm making you give it up by getting you pregnant." I just shake my head.

"You aren't making me do anything," I say. "You aren't him." I smile at him. "He was never so gentle or so loving with me." I reach out and pull his hand to my hip. "You make me feel like more than a toy when you touch me." I look down and sigh. "When you did touch me, that is."

"Katniss, after what you went through, I don't want to push you into anything," he says and I laugh.

"Well, I guess I'll just have to do some of the pushing then," I say as I crawl on top of him. "Because I need you to make it fade. I need you to make it go away so I can sleep through the night without thinking you're him. I need you to remind me of what it feels like to be with someone who loves me. I just need you right now. Can't you see that?"

"But you're pregnant," he says and I laugh. I slide the old T-shirt I wear to bed over my head.

"That doesn't make any difference," I say. "It's been the three weeks. There's nothing to worry about when it comes to that anymore. You won't hurt me or the baby." I look down at him teasingly and cross my arms over my naked breasts. "Unless that little bit of baby weight not going to my boobs is a huge turn off for you." He smiles at me and I feel his hands gently running up and down my body, occasionally playing with the waistband of my panties.

"Of course not, baby," he says. "I want you just as much as I wanted you when I found you sitting at the end of the bar, playing with the label of that wine cooler."

"Then show me," I say and lean down, meeting his lips. I feel his hands griping my waist softly, causing me to grind against his hips and slowly forming erection. I let out soft moans as Peeta latches onto my neck and leaves soft, gentle kisses and bites to it and my shoulder. I lift myself off him a little, just enough to remove the measly pieces of fabric separating us. I line us together and slowly sit down on him, feeling him fit in me like a missing puzzle piece. I throw my head back as I feel him hit that special place inside me.

"God, Katniss," he says as I slowly raise and lower myself on him. "It's been to long since we've been like this."

"I know, Baby," I reply as I start moving faster. I feel his hands on my hips, moving me with more force against him as our lips meet. I clutch at the pillow on either side of his head as I kiss him, feeling him bringing me up to that pleasurable edge as he moves my hips against his. I hook one of my legs under him and roll over so he's the one on top of me. I hook both my legs around his waist and use them to thrust against him as he takes over. I dig my fingernails into his back as I get closer and closer to the free fall.

"Are you close?" He asks, his breathing heavy. I nod, my own breathing feeling labored.

"So close, Peeta," I reply. "I'm ready. Once you let go, I will to." I feel him quiver inside me and his release fills me, setting off my own. We call out each other's names as we do and Peeta rolls off me, pulling me to his chest. I wrap my arms around his neck and feel his fingers gently run up and down my spine, giving me soothing tingles. I feel tears leaving my eyes without my permission.

"Katniss, what is it, Sweetheart? What's wrong?" He asks. I lift my head and look at his concerned face.

"I don't know," I say. "I guess I'm not exactly in charge of everything I'm doing right now and my emotions over everything that's happened this last month has gotten to me." I feel a strangled sob slip out and I bury my face in Peeta's neck as I begin full out crying. His arms hold my body tighter to his and I feel the warm comforter covering us.

"Shhh," he whispers into my hair. "I'm here. Nothing's gonna happen to you. Nothing is going to happen to either of you. I've got you." But I don't seem to listen. I just cry myself asleep in his arms.

(Song of the Chapter: "Red" ~Taylor Swift)