Chapter 2

“Um, what was that back there?” he asked.

“What, you’ve never done that before?” I asked.

“No. I don’t even know what that is. What the hell was that!” he shouted

“Look, I’m pretty sure you can do it too, it just takes time and practice. I’ve been practicing that for 6 years now, so I’m pretty good at it,” I said as I started to sniff the damp air. At first I didn’t pick up on a scent, but then I found something strong and sweet. “There’s a human close by,” I whispered with fear in my voice.

“Why are you scared?” William asked.

“Lets just say I know a lot of humans around this area, but they aren’t going to know it’s me. They’ve never seen me like this,” I said as I tried to get as far away from the scent as I could, but it seemed to be all over the place. “William, we need to get out of here and fast,” I said as I started to panic.

“Just calm down. We’re close to a village. That’s why the scent is getting stronger,” he said reassuringly.

“Which one?” I asked.

“I really don’t know. I know we’re at least 50 miles away from the village if that helps,” he said as he tried to comfort me.

My heart almost stopped. I knew where we were. “William, I need you to do something for me,” I whispered in fear.

“Anything,” he whispered.

“I need you to stay here and let me go to that village. My sister is there and her and I were very close and she was upset when I got thrown out. I just need to see her. Please,” I pleaded with my bright blue eyes. Thank goodness I was an amazing liar. The real reason why I wanted to go was to make sure that Jeremiah was ok.

“Ok, but hurry. I’ll wait here. I’m giving you 30 minutes, tops. I’ll call when it’s time to go back. Don’t worry, you’ll know it’s me,” he said with a sincere tone in his voice.

I gave him a small lick on his cheek. “Thank you,” I whispered and then took off.

It wasn’t hard finding my secret entrance that I always used to sneak out at night when I was younger. Once I was on the other side, I couldn’t believe what I saw. Almost everyone was dead. Their houses were destroyed. Then I started to panic. What if Jeremiah was dead. I searched the entire area, but I couldn’t find him, but I did find something else.

I found Father Gram. He wasn’t dead either, but he was barely alive. He looked at me with fear in his eyes.

“No, please don’t kill me,” he whispered.

“Father, it’s me, Rose. Tell me what happened,” I said in a stern voice.

“Rose, my dear, I’m so sorry. All this time I thought you were the danger, but you were the one who was protecting us from those monsters,” he said sobbing.

“What monsters?” I asked.

“They looked like you, but they were taller and skinnier and they can walk on two legs instead of four,” he said.

“Lycans,” I whispered. Then all of a sudden I let out the loudest and longest howl I’ve ever had before. Father Gram had to cover his ears because it was so loud.

“Rose, what’s wrong?” William asked behind me.

“Look around, William. What do you think is wrong?” I asked.

“Who is that?” Father asked.

“Someone who I thought I could trust,” I said through my teeth.