xxii

"dan, dan!" phil shouted in a semi-hushed voice, his fingernails digging into dan's skin as he was violently shook awake. "get up, we have to go!" phil added as the brunette dizzily shot up to his feet, trying to determine their situation through the 2am lack of light. the sounds of phil cursing under his breath and hurried footsteps ensued around him as he blinked furiously in an attempt to make out the area surrounding him.

it took a few mere seconds for his vision to adjust, and for him to recognize a gun held tightly between phil's hands as he signaled his head to the side. "this way," he muttered, starting to skulk forward as dan confusedly following behind him, paranoia and anxiety tracing his vision as he looked frantically around him. "where's chris?" he panicked, phil's fingers latching around his arm and dragging him out the door in a swift flash of darkness and abrupt motion.

"what's going on?" dan asked through pants of shock and confusion, his breath hitching sharply in his throat upon meeting phil's cold gaze. "just get your ass in the car and stay low," he growled before his head shot up at the slightest traces of a footstep, though the line dividing paranoid hallucinations and reality was rapidly thinning to nothing.

the reeking, metallic smell of blood and iron caked over dan's senses as he was shoved in the passenger seat, and upon sharply glancing behind him, he saw why. the bloodied body of chris laid sprawled over the backseats of what dan recognized to be on of his father's many cars, a bullet wound puncturing the brunette's blood-soaked chest.

"what the fuck!" he shrieked, phil crawling into the driver's seat and instantaneously shooting out of the driveway. "call pj right now," he ordered, dan's shock-overtaken eyes locked on the faint rises and falls that strained chris's chest. "dan!" the raven-haired man exclaimed, snapping the brunette out of his paranoia-infused trance. "call pj, right now," he repeated, dan's shaking fingers retrieving his phone and tremulously dialing the all-too-familiar number.

the seemingly-endless dialing of the phone pushed his nerves farther on edge until pj's groggy morning voice sounded from the speaker, calming him ever so slightly. "dan?" the brunette muttered tiredly, before repeating his name worriedly as he heard the strained pants coming from dan's side of the phone.

"pj," dan choked out, "w-we need your help- i don't, i'm not- y-yeah, thank you so fucking much," he stammered, hanging up on the fairly-confused brunette. phil chewed on his bottom lip anxiously as he pressed farther down on the pedal, dan spluttering in sentence fragments to give him instructions. "that one!" dan exclaimed abruptly, causing the jet black-haired boy to slam down his brakes. pj was stood apprehensively outside his house, his hands shaking with anxiety and his eyes wide with anticipation.

"how do you always manage to get yourself in life-threatening situations?!" the curly-haired brunette shouted in an anger-traced voice as he helped phil carry the unconscious chris inside his barely-lit house. "there," he added, slightly less angrily, gesturing to a couch where they proceeded to lie him down. "we'll talk later," he hurried past the deathly-still dan and up his staircase, not taking a full three minutes to drag his medical kit downstairs.

"phil," dan muttered in a near whisper, not catching the attention of his heavily-distracted boyfriend. "phil!" he repeated loudly, tears brimming his eyes as the older shot around. his blue eyes darted between pj and dan, before pointing to the kitchen and dragging the brunette in behind him. "what the fuck!" he cried, collapsing against phil's heaving chest. "what the hell happened?"

"chris said he was going out for a smoke," he mumbled absentmindedly, before seeming to snap back to their twisted reality. "which he does a lot, so, so i didn't think anything of it. but then he came in covered in blood with a bullet in his chest and i," he paused, gulping the lump of anxiety and shock down his strained throat. "h-he didn't say anything."