x

"so how long have you known pj?" phil asked, taking a bite of his blueberry muffin. they were back at the plant themed aesthetic café. dan thought for a few seconds, before answering with, "a few years. he was dating my college roommate at the time i met him."

"hm. is that how you became friends?"

dan laughed, "nope, i hated him so much. one night, i come home and they're fucking in my bed because they're both so stoned. and he was always, always trashing the place, and making messes literally everywhere."

he was twirling his straw around in his cream soda, smiling sadly, as if remembering the 'good old days. they weren't even that good for dan, but he didn't regret going. his college days did have their high points.

"one day adrian came to visit me at uni and i was late because of classes, and once i got to my room he was sitting on my bed laughing with pj. he was never... he hadn't.." dan's voice broke in the last few words, and phil furrowed his eyebrows. he gently placed his hand over dan's, who seemed to be put more at ease with this. dan scoffed at himself getting emotional, but continued.

"adrian was always really depressed, and pj made him laugh until he cried.
and for that i forgave him for ruining my bed sheets. then one night i-i.." dan stopped himself, like he wasn't sure if he wanted phil to know this. he gulped, before starting again.

"one night, a few months before i dropped out, i fucked up pretty bad and he came and helped me," dan trailed off and sadly smiled, that night replaying in his mind. from past experiences phil thought it best to not ask what happened and just nod instead.

"but after that, after he basically saved my life, i was a complete dick and stopped talking to him because of that night. i didn't want him to be around me anymore. i was scared of what i was capable of and i didn't want to ruin him. and even though i was a total ass to him he would still stitch me up after i got into bar fights, or whatever else. he would always help me, no matter how much i fucked up, and he was the same way towards adrian and.. just to everyone." dan rambled on, picking at the hems of his over-sized sweater sleeves.

"we're you two ever anything more than platonic?" phil asked quietly, his gaze set upon his green tea whilst he processed all of this information.

dan scoffed bitterly, "of course not, he's too good for me."

"dan, that's not true," phil said, tracing tiny patterns onto the back of dan's hand.

"well, i never liked him romantically anyway," he shrugged, and a smile crept onto phil's face.

"why, do you like pj?" dan smirked, covering his mouth with his sweater paw hand to muffle his giggles.

"of course not, i was just curious." phil scoffed, sipping his green tea and trying to ignore the soft blush he felt on his cheeks.

"well, how about your chris? describe him to me," dan rested his chin in his palm, expectantly waiting for phil to talk about his own love life.

"well, first of all, he's not my chris anymore. he was a tattoo artist, although he only had 7 tattoos himself. he's really sarcastic and witty and easily holds grudges. he pretends to hate everyone, which he almost does, but for those very few people he does care about, he'll do anything for them." phil said, looking off at nothing as he went on.

"but he changed. his dad..." phil trailed off, gulping at the mention of chris's father. "after that he got really irritable and aggressive, and he lost his job. then all he did was drink, and he got violent."

"oh," dan regretted bringing it up, and he felt bad about getting so worked up when phil asked him personal questions, when phil wouldn't complain and would answer almost anything he asked.