xix

"l-logan?" dan stammered, rubbing his bruised eyes in confusion. "you look like you need a ride," the long-haired brunette shrugged, an unlit cigarette held between his teeth. dan hesitantly rose to his feet with waves of dizziness and cold flashes hitting him, and in a matter of minutes he was in the passenger seat of logan's car.

"why're you helping me?" dan mumbled absentmindedly, way bin the wrecked cadillac fade from sight as the car drove on. "you're a friend of a friend, its a simple favor," the brunette beside him shrugged, lighting the cigarette and letting the smoke lazily leak out his chapped lips.

"phil didn't seem to like you very much," dan mumbled under his breath, sighing as he rubbed his temples. logan remained silent, letting his bright blue eyes linger on dan for a moment before turning back to the road.

once the white sterile walls of the place dan tried his best to avoid came into view, dan found himself struggling manically to get out of the car as soon as possible. "in a hurry?" logan rolled his eyes, parking the car. "what're you doing?" dan paused upon hearing the engine turn off, having a rather uneasy feeling about having him around.

"don't worry, i'm not staying," logan spoke slowly, as if pondering each word before saying it aloud. "i send phil my best regards, tell him i said hi."

dan just nodded, hobbling out of the car and through the hospital doors. a teary woman stumbled quickly by him, sending him a dirty look upon bumping into him. his mouth formed into an "o" shape as he looked down and took in his appearance, seeing the drying blood rusting away at his bruised skin.

his gaze wandered up and his feet led him into the bathroom, where he let out a hitched gasp at seeing his full appearance. a large gash sliced across his forehead and his lip was far deeper split than he first thought. bruises littered across his arms and showed through his ripped clothes, and his hair was marred with dirt and curled with sweat and blood. "christ," he muttered, clawing at the blood covering his hands.

"dan," pj's voice sounded from the door, bringing dan's hazy gaze upward. "you look terrible," he breathily laughed in relief, pulling him in for a brief hug before dan winced away in both pain and desperation. "where's phil?" he asked, scanning pj's viridescent irises for anything. "he's okay, but unconscious. he's in room 93," pj weakly smiled with a glint of something dan couldn't determine between suspicion and disappointment, continuing past him to wash his hands.

"how did you meet phil?" the green-eyed boy inquired abruptly, keeping his gaze on his hands. "uh, a nightclub. why do you ask?" dan answered apprehensively, quirking an eyebrow. "what do you know about him?"

"what's with the questions?" dan spat, pursing his lips. pj turned swiftly to dan, eyeing him carefully before speaking up again. "it's just," he stammered, struggling for words. "over a third of his body tissue is scarred over, burn marks, knife cuts, i mean, he was fucking poisoned. who the hell is this guy?"

dan opened his mouth but no words seemed to make their way up his closing throat. "uh, i, he, he just," he stammered, shaking his head. "look, pj, just please, please. you've gotta trust me on this."

pj sighed, hesitantly brushing past dan and out of the bathroom doors. the brunette cursed under his breath, running his fingers stressfully through his hair before leaving suit.

he walked absentmindedly throughout the hospital corridors, keeping his gaze low and his hands shoved inside his pockets. room 93 soon traveled into his vision, the door slightly cracked open. he pushed it forward, the door swinging open as he walked hesitantly through.

"oh god," dan's breath hitched as he laid eyes on his unconscious boyfriend. his chapped, split lips were parted slightly as his chest rose and fall with every uneven breath. colored bruises coated over his hooded eyes and various scratches and cuts flooded across his arms and shoulders.

the repetitive, monotone beeping of the monitor seemed to add to the energy drain dan felt rapidly; his eyelids dropping heavier and heavier until light snores were floating out of his lips and their uneven, every-so-often hitching breaths matched.

* * *

"well, it's oddly comforting to be back here," dan chuckled half-heartedly,  running his fingers through his hair as he walked through his home doors. phil nodded, biting his lip anxiously. "what's bothering you?" dan inquired, patting the area on the couch beside him.

not bothering to stifle a sigh, phil dragged out the list of names from damien, handing it to dan to look over. "this," he answered. the brunette eyed the list for a moment before turning back to phil. "what do i do?"

"uh, i'm not sure. if i poisoned again i'll know who to call," he chuckled lightly, rising to his feet. dan sent a glare to him, mixed of anger, frustration, and worry. "that's not funny."

"right, right, okay. you can dig up some info on these people. i'm gonna go get chris," phil shrugged. "are you sure that's a good idea?" dan questioned worriedly, adding, "going alone?" phil grinned, "it's just chris, i'll be fine."

dan's eyes lingered on his exiting boyfriend until he was out of sight before turning back to the names, none of which he recognized.

buzz !!

a vibration from his pocket made him jump, before scowling at himself and pulling out his phone. sighing in relief, he saw it was just pj, but his relieved expression dropped instantaneously upon reading the end of the text.

"oh, and btw logan says hi"