Hudson nodded. "How's she doing?"

Ian shrugged. "It's hard to say."

"Well, I really hope you figure something out. Remember, my family and I are always here to help. Just say the word and we'll come over." Hudson would often give a little spare money he had to help Ian with his Mom. Ian didn't want any help but the spare money helped finish a few bills. Hudson's family has done so much for him over the past year.

"Thanks, man."

"And you can't stop me from helping out."

Ian laughed and patted Hudson. "You're a great man."

"You know you shouldn't let this take up your entire life."

Ian shook his head. "I'm still racing. I'm living my life."

"Your life shouldn't revolve around racing, Ian." Hudson sighed. "Why are you like this?"

"Like what?"

"This." Hudson motioned his hands up and down at Ian.

"What about this?" Ian motioned his hands like Hudson did at himself.

"What is up with this obsession?"

"What obsession?"

Hudson sighed again. Ian did this on purpose half the time. The other half he had no idea. "Your obsession to be the best. No ones the best, Ian."

Ian pointed at himself. "I need this! I have no choice!"

"You do have choices, Ian! You just haven't figured them out yet."

Ian huffed. "This is all I know. I can't do anything else. This is my life."

"It doesn't have to be."

Ian huffed again. "I got to get to class." Ian said and walked around Hudson to class in the building ahead.

"Look, I'm sorry if I offended you." Ian could hear Hudson's voice as he walked behind him. "I'm just trying to help."

Ian stopped and turned around to face Hudson. "I'm not offended. I just have a lot of crap going on in my life right now and I don't want to think about it."

"I'm very sorry."

"It's okay." Ian said and pat Hudson's back. "We better get to class. Looks like a storms coming." Ian looked at the sky as more clouds appeared and started to cut off the sun.

"Mom?" Ian called out once he got inside his home.

"In here!" His Mom called out from the kitchen. He usually called out to her to let her know he was home. She wasn't supposed to be out of bed.

Ian walked into the kitchen to see his Mom cooking over the stove. She wobbled a bit.

"Mom, what are you doing?"

She looked away from the stove to look at him. "I'm making myself some breakfast." She smiled and turned back to the stove.

Ian walked over to her and turned off the stove. "First off, you're supposed to be in bed. And second, why are you making breakfast at four in the afternoon?"

She put a hand on her hip and turned to Ian. "I missed breakfast this morning because I wasn't hungry and your Dad left to pick up my medication from the pharmacy. I couldn't stand to lay in that bed any longer."

"Mom, I really need to go clean up the stables and feed the horses and I can't do that if I'm paranoid about leaving you alone. At least sit on the couch or something."

She turned back to the stove. "Let me finish this."

She was about to turn the stove back on when Ian stopped her. "I got this. Please go lay down on the couch."

She wasn't happy but she obeyed him and left to the living room.

Ian finished cooking her meal and brought it over to her. "I'm going to the stables now." He said and handed her the plate of food. "I have my phone on me so if you need anything just call. And please don't get up."

She nodded. "I swear to God that you and your father are the same person."

He gave a small laugh along with a smile. "Just promise me this."

"Okay."

"Love you, Mom." He said and kissed her cheek.

"Love you too."

"Hey, Crabby." Ian greeted his horse when he got to the stables. Crabby seemed excited to see him. Ian opened up the gate and grabbed a brush to brush Crabby. Crabby stayed calm as Ian brushed him. "Good boy." Ian put the brush down. "I'm going to grab you some hay." Crabby neighed as Ian walked out of the stables.

Ian's truck was parked at the house so carrying the hay will take some work with the distance.

He opened the back and started unloading the hay. Placing it all on the ground so he could carry them to the stables which was going to take some time.

Soon his Dad's truck pulled up beside his. His Dad got out, carrying a pharmacy bag.

"Hey, Ian." His Dad greeted as he walked to the house.

"Hey, Dad."

"How was school?" He said once he reached the porch.

"The usual." Ian said while he continued to unload the truck. He had finished unloading the hay and headed back to the stables as his Dad got inside.

He made it half way to the stables when he heard a scream. "Ian!" His Dad's voice echoed through the ranch making some horses neigh.

Ian dropped the hay and ran as fast as he could to the house.

Once he was inside he clearly saw what his Dad was yelling about. His mother leaned over the couch, throwing up blood.

"Call 9-1-1!" His Dad yelled to him.

Ian quickly grabbed his phone and called. He stated his name, address, and situation to the 9-1-1 operator. He hung up once they said they were on their way.

His Dad told Ian to wait outside for the ambulance which he gladly did.

This wasn't the first time this has happened. It was a not so often event. They knew exactly what to do when this happened and they knew what the doctors were going to do. They also knew that she was going to end up being in the hospital for several day. The number of days varied. Their lives were tough but they knew what they were doing but the cost to know that was more than they bargained for.