"He doesn't like me much, does he?" he questioned, and I didn't have to ask to know he was referring to Jacob.

"He'll come around," I muttered.

"He's just trying to protect you, which he doesn't have to do anymore," he said, kissing my temple. "That's my job."

"You don't even have to, Logan," I stated with a roll of my eyes. "I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself." He huffed before spinning me around in his arms and resting his forehead against mine. Raising my eyes, his gazed bored into my own.

"I know I don't have to, but I want to. You're my mate, Torian. It's instilled in my blood to protect you, whether you need it or not," he told me, his voice deeper than usual.

"You're so stubborn," I grumbled, poking his nose.

"As are you," he said, kissing my forehead and leading me back towards the counter. "Now, let's eat!" he exclaimed, handing me a plate.

Shaking my head at him, I took the plate and we went around the counter piling our plates with food. Once I was positive I had too much on mine, we made our way into the dining room to sit with everyone else. Looking at the table, it truly hit me. They were all there. My pack, Logan's pack who I had come to know as my own, and my family. There was a certain darkness that still hung over everyone in the room, and it only enhanced the roil of my stomach. Logan stopped beside me and picked up on my unease. Smiling, he took my hand in his and gave it a light but reassuring squeeze. He winked when I looked up at him and then proceed to lead me to the head of the table with Nicholas and Kenna. As we sat down there was a lull in the conversation and everyone stopped to look at me. Bowing my head, I focused solely on eating as the talking slowly started up again. Logan placed a hand on my thigh, and I risked a glance up to meet his eyes.

"It'll be fine," he whispered. I just nodded. Being the center of attention had always freaked me out.

Some Alpha I made.

"Torian," I heard my father's voice call from somewhere down the table. Sighing, I raised my head to find him. It was better to get used to the situation quickly. Cooperation was going to be necessary if we wanted any chance of winning this.

"Yes?" I questioned, finally locating him.

"I know it would be ideal to adjust to having us back in your life, but wouldn't it be best if we started training as soon as possible?" he asked, giving me a small smile.

"I was actually thinking the same thing," I told him, turning to Logan. "How 'bout we start training today? Soon after breakfast is over we can all go to that clearing we first fought in," I suggested.

Logan quirked an eyebrow at me but nodded his approval. "Sounds good to me. Any objections?" he called as his gaze slid around the table. Everyone shook their heads and returned to eating. A slight pressure on my thigh caused me to focus my attention on Logan again. His eyes searched my face. "Are you sure you're up to this?" he asked, his eyebrows coming together in silent worry.

Smiling, I laid a hand on his cheek. "This is my fight now too. I'm in this until Xander's dead and gone," I said with a wry grin filling my face. He shook his head at me despite the smile now adorning his features. Placing his hand over mine, he turned his face to place a tender kiss on the inside of my wrist.

"Thank you, ma vie," he murmured, his voice turning to silk.

"Anytime," I whispered, turning back to finish my breakfast.

❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃

Later in the day, the group from the pack house and some of the Pierce's best fighters were all in a circle surrounding Logan and me. Looking around at our fighters, I had to hold back tears at the thought that we could lose any of them. I didn't think I'd be able to handle it very well, if at all. We had already lost so many. The remainder of the pack besides those who stayed in the packhouse had been given a pardon from training. They needed their time to grieve before jumping into the next battle.