Prologue

Song: Dancing With a Wolf by All Time Low

Percy Jackson P.O.V.
13 February 2016
Manhattan, New York
0215

Running, I had been running my entire life. Right now, it was from an empousa. I'm leading her away from my mom and step-dad, Paul's, apartment.

I tried to go home after Annabeth broke up with me to pursue her dreams of a career in architecture in another country. Somewhere in the UAE. Dubai, I think. She didn't want to do the long distance thing.

Unfortunately, it only took about six hours for the monsters to catch up with me and put my mom in danger.

I can't stay there, and I don't want to go back to camp and be reminded of Annabeth every second of every day. It just hurts. I mean, I fell into Tartarus for her and she still dumped me.

Coming back to the present, I skid around a corner, and pull Riptide out of my pocket. I have been running for long enough.

"Kelli, how lovely to see you again. Still only shaving one leg I see."

"Perssseus," she hissed at me. She looked mildly offended. Although, I'm not sure if that was from simply my existance or the quip about her leg.

She glared at me for a moment, before lunging fangs first.

I dodged to the left, and swiped at her neck. She dissolved into golden dust.

"Until next time, Kelli." I swear that monster reforms almost as fast as the Minotaur.

My thoughts were interrupted by someone clapping behind me.

I turned to face the person, clapping slowly as if to mock me. I'm not sure how I missed her presence there, my senses are usually sharper than that.

"Very good, Mr. Jackson. I could use someone like you." The tall, skinny woman looked up at me. I had around two inches on her, at 6' 4".

"And who are you?" I asked. She looked mortal, but I kept riptide out just the same. I'm not entirely sure what the mist made her see.

I am now on high alert, and notice the feeling of being watched.

"I am Director Emily James of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. And I have been attempting to track you down for years, Jackson." As she said this, she stepped into the light along with approximately twelve other agents.

Her ebony skin gleams in the light, and her curly hair is pulled back into a tight pony tail. She has her right hand resting on the gun strapped to her hip, directly next to a badge.

"May I ask why?" I cock an eyebrow. I could really use Annabeth's knowledge right about now. That thought shot a sharp pain through my heart.

"We have every reason to believe you are involved in multiple terroristic threats and events of terroristic activities. Starting with blowing up the St. Louis Arch a few years back."

"That is incorrect information, but how did you know I was going to be in the random alley at- I check the watch/shield Tyson gave me, realizing it doesn't actually tell time- like two in the morning?"

"We didn't, not that you need to know why we're here." She responded curtly. I saw two agents tossing someone into a car in my peripheral vision.

"Now, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Come with us to be interrogated willingly, or we will take you in by force."