“Honestly? I can’t think of anyone that would have this much of an issue with me.” I said softly, staring at my hands in my lap.

                The masked man was silent for a moment, “I suspect that the notes are connected from someone who is conducting the entire threat for the seven of you girls. The razor, on the other hand, does not match the pattern.”

                “You think there are two people after me.” It wasn’t a question, it was a statement. I didn’t need an answer, but he nodded regardless.

                “I think you have both the psycho himself and a copycat.”

                I frowned, biting my lip, “Didn’t you say earlier that the other girls had notes about suffocation?”
                “I’m not limiting my search to just that. Who knows if the other notes imply other means of death, and I’m just singling out this specific way?”

                I nodded slowly.

                He chuckled darkly. “You know what this means, right?”

                “I’m going to die?”

                “We wouldn’t want that to happen.” He said, “This just means I need to keep my eye on you more often.”

                I grimaced, leaning back on my bed. “Fantastic.”

                He shrugged, “I don’t mind it. You’re a cute damsel in distress.”

                “I’m not in distress!”

                “When you’ve got a psycho on your ass, and you need my protection, that makes you a damsel in distress.”

                I rolled my eyes, propping my up on my pillow. He took this as a sign to follow, crawling to the other side of the bed and lying next to me. I made a face, scooting away.

                “What’re you doing?” I whispered.

                He propped his head up by his elbow, a playful smile coming onto his face, “Obviously, I’m protecting you.”

                I raised an eyebrow, “You don’t look like it.”

                “Keeping a watchful eye.”

                “What about the other girls? What if they need you to protect them?”

                He chuckled, “I’ll know if they do or don’t. Trust me.”

                “How can I trust you? I don’t even know what you look like…” I trailed off. “I don’t know who you are.”

                “You know me well enough.”

                A moment of silence passed between us.

                It was hard to make out his figure very well in the darkness of the room. He casted a shadow from his body blocking the moonlight. Despite not being able to see his eyes, I knew we were holding each other’s gazes.

                I bit my lip gently.

                “Can I ask you something?”

                “Sure.” He said.

                “Why did you kiss me the other night?”