Chapter 26: Night Job

Start from the beginning

My boots hit the top of the low building, and I briskly walked towards the edge, letting my hood disappear. What’s the point of hiding?

I’ll fit in just fine, here.

I dropped thirty feet to the ground, landing gracefully in the alley. My eyes adjusted to the bright lamp post, and I pulled at my black, long sleeved shirt.

Why do these humans even wear clothes? They’re so…tight.

I shook my head at my thoughts, peeking into the window of the dark store, “I will so enjoy this one,” I spoke slowly, and excitedly, climbing the steps into the building. I pulled at the door, to hear ‘Hells Bells’ blasting through the speakers.

Ok, now they’re just asking for it.

My heavy boots lead the way into the dark store, passing chains, and piercings for every body part. My emerald eyes grazed over the cashier, counting her money greedily. Her eyes lifted to mine, and a small smile lifted on my lips. I looked away quickly, knowing she already wants my attention.

I’ll give her five seconds, tops.

1…2…3…4--

“Hey,” a feminine voice whispered beside me, “you need a piercing today? Or are you—“

I turned to face her, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh….dude, sweat piercings!” 

I snickered, “Thank you, dude,” I echoed the foreign slang, pointing to a silver lip ring. “I need a new one,” I said, flashing my famous smile.

She blushed but bravely kept contact with my eyes.. “Sure thing.” The girl pocketed the keys in her apron to open the glass case, but cringed at a sudden pain. She squinted, putting her fingers to her temples, “Ow.”

 My eyes glued to the spot, clenching my jaw. I slowly fed on the pain, getting my own enjoyment, “You alright?” I questioned, not really giving a rats ass. I loved playing before a kill.

Her heartbeat started to soar, and her blood started to mix with adrenaline. The human's body wavered, until she dropped to the floor. Dead at my feet.

Where the hell is that dang 'Easy' button?

“Well, now that she’s out of the picture,” I muttered smoothly, stepping over the unconscious body. I squatted to the ground, putting a finger to her temple.

His presence was still lingering in her mind, meaning he was close. Very close. As my eyes grazed over her sleeve which had been pulld up as she fell, I noticed a bruise in the shape of a hand.

That bastard is just getting himself in more trouble.

I stood up, disguising myself as the girl. It was a weak imagine that would only last me a few minutes, twenty tops. With my experience and intelligence all I needed was ten. My now short legs found their way to the back of the room.

The song Hells Bells  ironically started to pound throught he speakers of the song. As I narrowed in on the speakers I couldn't help but laugh. There was a small camera taped on the top of one of them aimd on the area of the store.  It was as if they expected me here.

"Damnit," I muttered, realizing my victim most likely saw the whole scenerio with the girl falling unconciousely onto the ground, and then watched me turn from a man to a woman in approximately two seconds.

He's probably packing a suitcase and schduling the next flight out of here. I know I would after seeing that.

 “Come on out,” I growled, changing into my familiar form. My hood draped over my body and I took out my dagger. It grew into a scythe, reaching its long length. Picking up the slight sound of breathing, I blended into the wall, invisible to the human eye.

George Farmington, came into my view. He had a tight green shirt on, and receding black hair. He was a ‘recovering’ alcoholic with a huge beer belly. The man continued to tell his friends and family he had stopped, but really had increased.

“I don’t care if you can’t get it done! I’m not letting you take over the damn business!” he turned, and wiped a hand down his face. “I might have those papers in my office! I don’t…like… know!” he turned back around ready to storm in the other direction, “I just—“

I faced him in the center of the hallway, making myself visible.

“I—I have to go,” he said slowly, staring at me. He clicked the phone shut, not believing his eyes.“You—I—you—“he backed up quickly, “What the fu—“

I silenced him with a wave of a hand. His protests muffled as if I had pressed a mute button to his focal cords. It really was the most satisfying ability I had.

I cleared my throat, getting ready to start my speech, “Cool your beans, it’s a natural process.” In a blink of an eye I appeared in front of him, “Hello, my name is Death. I’m a Sagittarius, I love long walks on the beach, chocolate ice-cream, horror movies, and taking peoples souls,” I explained. I lifted off my draping hood. 

His mouth dropped, “What the hell is up with your—“

I tilted my head, watching his eyes suddenly grow in pain. Nobody makes fun of me and get's away with it. George clutched his chest, feeling the heart attack coming. I sighed, as he looked at me with pleading eyes.

Here it goes.

“I’ll do anything!” he begged, getting to her knees. “Please…let--” he choked, and then wheezed loudly.

“Oh sweet flames of hell,” I muttered. That statement wasn’t true. They weren't that sweet.  I threw my scythe gently into the air tto get my hands free and rolled up my sleeves. “I’ll cut you some slack.." I clasped my hands together and looked down at him like I actually cared if he lived or died. "Oh wait, no I won't. That's not fun."

"I'M SORRY!"

I burst out laughing."You're sorry? Sorry for what? Existing? I forgive you." I loomed over him making him back down onto the floor and shake with fear. "Now, I've lived a long life so stop me when I'm wrong but when one apologies, doesn't one have to actually feel remorse for the other to accept?"

"Can you make an e-e-expection?"

'Nope." I clenched my fist together and gently pried it back open, building a black orb of energy in it. I brought it slowly to his forehead, and then released it. He cried out in pain, black veins spreading down his forehead. He dropped to the ground. A blue light lifted from his chest, and I breathed in deeply. It drifted into my mouth, and caressed my lungs.

Better than a cheeseburger.

I kicked the lifeless body on the ground, catching my scythe in midair as it reappeared, “Say hell-o to hell, my friend. Oh, and you might want some sunscreen. The rays are pretty bad down there, trust me.” I walked briskly away, my boots heavily hitting the ground.

I whistled to the ‘Hells Bells’ song as I exited the backroom. I made sure to give the cashier who was once unconcious a solute. She wobbled in her stance and stared wide eyed at my attire. 

"It's the robe, isn't it?" I questioned in a mocking tone as I passed by.

As we made eye contact her death echoed the back of my mind, making me snicker. Such a typical death.

“I’d break up with that boyfriend of yours, he's going to overdose in two days!” I shouted over my shoulder as I exited the store. It was gloomy outside and my sensitive eyes adjusted easily. 

 ******************************