09 | A Familiar Face

Start from the beginning

I chose to park at the extreme end of the parking lot, and take my time to walk to the entrance of the small private hospital. When I entered the hospital, I was immediately engulfed by the stale smell of disinfectant and bleakness. Running a hand through my hair, I grabbed the visitor card out of my purse and clipped it onto my shirt like routine.

Most of the nurses I passed by nodded at me in acknowledgement, but like every other day, I did not react to their greeting. I found no need to. Instead, I kept my eyes aimed straight and made my way up to the level where Mason's room was.

When the elevator doors dinged open, I was taken aback by the person I saw on the other end of the door.

"Logan Marshall?"

The boy in front of me blinked, his eyes flashing with familiarity. A friendly smile broke out across his face.

"Marissa Lee! It's been awhile since I've spoken to you," he said politely, his charming smile lifting my spirit a little. I nodded, offering him a small smile of my own.

"It's been awhile," I repeated absentmindedly, before going back to wondering if Mason is alright. The worry on my face must've shown, because Logan's eyebrows dipped into a slight frown.

"Are you alright?" he asked softly, genuine concern lacing his tone. I blinked, slightly surprised. I smiled tightly and nodded, "I am. What about you? What are you doing here?"

"Oh, I'm just visiting," he answered vaguely, the spark in his eyes dulling for a moment. I pursed my lips and nodded. I decided not to pry, and instead smiled at him.

"I see. I am too," I said, pointing to the visitor card flipped onto my shirt. He smiled again, a look of relief flashing across his face before disappearing.

"If you're not busy, do you want to have a coffee?" Logan piped up after some silence. Blinking, I stared at him incredulously as I spoke.

"Now?"

"Just vending machine coffee, of course. But if you have to go...," he said, trailing off. He stopped himself, offering me a weak smile.

"That would be great," I said softly, immediately recognising what he was trying to do. After all, I had done this a million times, too.

Logan Marshall was sad and he wanted to be distracted.

Logan smiled, and led the way to the nearest vending machine on the level. We stopped in front of the brightly lit machine, and I watched silently as Logan dug his pocket for coins and bought his coffee. Opening my bag, I fished for my coin purse but was quickly stopped by him.

"Hey, no worries. It's on me. What do you want?" he asked, smiling slightly. I blushed slightly under his friendly gaze and murmured, "Black coffee."

Nodding, he bought me the coffee. We stood in silence and listened to the whirring of the machine as it prepared my coffee. Logan was already clutching his paper cup in one hand, while looking blankly at the wall.

"How have you been?" he asked casually, casting me a small smile.

"Alright. Nothing new or exciting," I shrugged. The machine stopped whirring and I bent down to retrieve my ready-made coffee.