Chapter 18-Something of a Legend

Start from the beginning

"Someone below sent up a bottle of water for him to throw over himself, as the fire now covered the entire house, which was beginning to fall and crumble as it was burnt to smithereens. Charlie, now slick with water, battled his way through the fire, towards the sound of the girl.

"Nobody could see what was going on, but there were some shouts and screams from inside. After a few minutes, Charlie came back to the window and let down the girl, who was badly burnt, before coming down himself. He collapsed into a heap and passed out, mumbling your name.

"It had been Emily, from La Push, and her daughter that she'd fallen pregnant with just before Sam died, that Charlie rescued from the blaze. He'd ended up with many bad burns, and he lived with the scars on the left side of his face for the rest of his life. According to the story, his daughter returned to him while on his death-bed, and watched him die as she sat with him, talking quietly and apologising for everything.

"Only you can say whether or not that's true," Katrina finished.

If I were still human, I'd have tears streaming down my cheeks. Emily, who had already been mauled by her once-fiancé, had been caught in a burning house. I hadn't known that Emily was pregnant when I met her, and from the sound of it, she hadn't known until after Sam died.

Edward wrapped his arm round me, and I buried my face in the crook of his neck, trying to calm my erratic breathing. There was silence in the room for a moment, save for the sound of Katrina's breathing and gentle, lulling heart-beat. I pulled myself away from Edward, and turned back to Katrina. I told those stood in the room something I'd never told anyone, not even Edward.

"That is true," I whispered, "I heard that my father was dying, and I came back. I sat in the hospital with him while he died, and I let out all the emotions and thoughts that had built up inside me while we'd been apart. He said very little, but he listened to all of it. He told me he loved me one last time, and I returned it. He died a day later, having slept the night with his arms around me. His passing was peaceful."

Edward pulled me back to him, kissing the top of my head. I smiled a watery smile at Katrina, who was glancing at the Denali coven nervously. I couldn't blame her really. Eleazer hadn't seemed particularly welcoming when I'd introduced her, and she wasn't stupid, she could tell when a vampire was staring at her. She just didn't realise that Eleazer was exceedingly curious.

"You should probably head home honey," Esme said, motherly as always. I checked the clock that sat on the mantle-piece, and saw that it had gone ten o'clock. Katrina's mother would probably be wondering how eating out with a friend could take so long. I nodded my agreement, and Katrina sighed.

"Thank you, for everything," she said, standing. We followed suit.

"No problem. And thank you," I said, referring to her story about Charlie.

"You'd have heard it sooner or later. All kids are told it from a young age," she replied, causing me to wonder why I hadn't hear it before. I gave her a quick hug, before Esme ushered her out of the door. Edward chuckled quietly at the little scene, but I doubted anyone except myself - who was still wrapped in his arms - had heard it.

Alice turned round as soon as Katrina had left the house, and motioned us into the living room. Confused, I glanced up at Edward, who seemed to be deep in thought. The whole psychic, mind-reader relationship was incredibly irritating. Edward pulled me down into his lap, and had I been able to I'd have blushed at our rather intimate position. As it was, Rose and Emmett sat down and promptly began kissing, so I didn't feel too out of place.

Alice began pacing, running her fingers through her short, raven hair in frustration. I watched her speed backwards and forwards, and found myself becoming restless and agitated. I shot Jasper a meaningful glance, and I felt a wave of calm was over me. He seemed to have calmed Alice too, for she slowed with her pacing and turned to face us.