Wild Horses

His hoofs boomed against the dry soil and a thousand more fallowed. "Keep them in line C." Lane yelled as Frost thrashed his head.

I nodded and twisted the gelding into the open pen. "Put the flag up C. The highway is not to far now." I could only shout a yes just like he did in return. The leading stallion swung his back legs at me. Wild Mustangs are crazy, somethin' not to mess around with.

"Watch the black one C, To your right!" I cursed when a black blur ran into my boy. Next thing I knew my rear end was buried in brown dust. I picked myself up and grabbed the Quarter Horse. Once back on I kicked him in the direction to the Mustang. My Lariat flung around his neck. "Hold him C. Steer, Steer him Chan!" I held him to the horn and jerked his head left. I have never been on a round up until now, and now I know it sucks.

The mustang thrashed against the Lasso almost jerking me out of my seat.

______________________________________

"Lane."

"Lane."

"Lane."

"What?"

"What's wrong?" I asked stepping toward him. He groaned and shoved his face in his hands. After putting the tack in the tack room Lane left, it was only natural to fallow him. I found him sitting under a cotton tree.

"It's- it's my parents." His parents have always been a sore subject so the foreign words shocked me and probably himself as well. His mother leaving him and his father for another man, a man with a daughter Lanes age, but his father was blinded by the return of his wife and didn't question her return. Lane of course did and when she had no answer, he felt neglected, like anyone would. He stopped talking to his parents over all and never brought up the subject, unless he was drunk or emotional.

I took a seat next to him, putting my arm around his waist, I rubbed his back. "And?" I asked softly.

He leaned into me "They want to see me. They haven't seen me since the incident and I moved the week after that."

"Oh. What do you want to do, Lane." He looked at me before looking at the setting sun.

"I think I should see them. I need to stop being such a wimp and running away from everything."

I sighed "Lane, your not a wimp, you don't run away from anything."

Suddenly like a bomb on a timer, he explodes. "Yes I do Chandler! I couldn't except that my mother had another family so I ran from her! I couldn't except that you- I just run Chandler!" He tried to move away.

"Wait what." I shook my head "it doesn't matter Lane. You hardly run away from anything and you moved because you didn't want a wolf in sheep's skin. It's okay. Stop being so hard on yourself."

He sighs and shakes his head. "Will you go with me."

"Yes, of course. Tonight?"

"Tonight."

-----------------

"I already asked your dad if you could come, Chan." Lane rumbled opening my door as I packed a few dress blouses, a few dresses, and jeans. Grabbing my makeup bag off my bed I nodded.

"Thank you for coming Chan. It means a lot to me." He gave me a bitter sweet smile and sat on my bed waiting for me to put my boots and socks on.

"Your welcome, I wouldn't let you go alone."

Lane looked at the floor and kicked his feet back and forth. "I know. It just. Thank you so much."

"Of course Lane."

--------------

(Lanes p.o.v)

"Sir, my parents wanted to see me, is it okay if I see them for a few days?" I asked, I was nervous, how do you ask if you can bring your bosses daughter on a three day trip with you?

"Lane, you haven't had a damn break all year and a half. I was starting to think you wanted me to adopt you." He joked, the crows feet forming under his eyes as he smiled.

"Can I bring - would you mind if- May I bring-"

"Spit it out, boy."

"Chandler- do I have permission to bring with me, to meet my family?" It came out wrong but I'm sure Mr. West knew where I was going.

"If you do happen to bring my daughter along, do you promise me you have her and will take care of her, no funny business too?" He raised his eyebrows and my hands were sweaty.

"Of course sir, I will always protect Chandler. And no funny business involved I can promise that also."

"We gave no problems then."

I nodded and ran to get Chandler.