Aleka's Attic

The only words that came to my mind upon arriving back home to our little apartment were "thank god."

I quickly ran to my designated spot on the couch, allowing Piper to join me.

We sent small smiles to each other, showing our appreciation to be back in Hollywood.

"I forgot how much I loved it here," Piper started, stretching out on the couch. "What should we do today?"

"Absolutely nothing," I replied confidently.

Randomly, two knocks sounded at the door.

I got up to answer, revealing a man holding a few square envelopes.

"Your mail." he said, sticking his hand out to me.

"Thanks." I replied, sending him a light smile and closing the door.

I examined the few envelopes and one caught my eye.

It was red and had my name written on it in sloppy cursive handwriting.

Piper watched me as I ripped it open, only to be greeted by a CD and small note on yellow paper.

The first official copy of Aleka's Attic. I hope you like it.

-Rainbow

"What's that?" Piper questioned.

I couldn't believe he actually finished it, I'd thought they put it on hold.

"River and Rain finished the songs," I started, and that was enough to get Piper running to the nearest CD player she could find.

We put it in and sat on the couch, awaiting the moment we'd hear the music River and Rain had worked so hard on.

"The first song is called Across The Way." Piper announced.

Moments later, it had started.

-

We spent hours indulging ourselves into the music produced by Aleka's Attic.

The beat was phenomenal, accompanied by hints of indie and rock.

Every time River and Rains' voices collided, it was goosebumps that took over. I absolutely loved it.

When Too Many Colors had finished, I darted for the phone.

I couldn't wait to tell River how proud I was of him and his music, and how much I loved it.

As usual, Iris answered.

"Can I speak to River?" I questioned, and to no surprise, she got him.

"Hello?" He said, his voice sounding lively and the way I remembered. Thank god he's back to normal.

"Rain sent me the CD," I started. "River, it's so good. I'm so proud of you. I really am."

I could almost sense his smiling from the other side of the phone.

"I didn't know she made the copies yet, she's so full of surprises," he started, laughing. "But I'm so glad you like it."

My heart sank more and more as he spoke; words couldn't describe how much I missed River. Being without him was so painful, so frustrating. I craved him more as days went on.

I couldn't help but wonder if I was in love.

"I'm so proud of you." I repeated.

"Thanks, mom." He joked, clearly happy. "I'll be home soon. And when I get back, we're going out; a nice date that I'll pay for."

"I can't wait." I said honestly.

"I need to get back to work though if I want to get a few days at home, so I'll call you soon. I love you so much." He said.

"I love you so much." I echoed after him. And like that, he was gone.

-

For a long time, I thought of River.

I thought of how lucky I was to be with him, and how different he was from the other people who inhabited the world.

Being with River is like being with a child; innocent, curious, and full of life. You loved them. You also feared for them.

River wasn't oblivious to most things that people seem to be unaware of, though. As a matter of fact, he was quite smart. But he lacked common knowledge of the way other people worked.

Not all people are good, or at least, as good as him. Not all people understand.

And the hardest part of loving him was protecting him, because you can't protect a human from human-kind.

A New Life (River Phoenix)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara