Chapter Thirty-Three: Travelling Companion

~Chapter Thirty-Three: Travelling Companion~

"Cade, it's Heather. You better not be ignoring my calls. Anyway, that's not important. What is important is that I'm going to be really busy with a business deal I have out on the West Coast. California, to be exact. I know how you like Robert Downey Jr., so I'll make sure to get his autograph for you if I see him in Hollywood," she sings, then pauses to sigh, "My point is, I might be a little hard to reach for the next couple of days. And while it's been fun talking to your voicemail and all, I have to go. See you later, alligator."

-

This is not how I expected to be spending my Saturday morning. I had thought I would be sleeping in, curled up next to my...next to my mate, a word which will take some more time to adjust to. Ryland seems to have no trouble with it, but then, why would he? He is the one who wanted it in the first place.

"So, are you going to give me any hints as to where we are going?"

I roll around a little until I am looking up at Ryland's face as he watches the road. My head is resting comfortably in his lap and I have been in this position for twenty to thirty minutes. It is nice and warm, but I have to wonder where we are going and why he had to wake me up at one am – only an hour after I went to sleep – to do it. I asked him when he carried my sleepy self to the car, but all he said was 'road trip'.

It is not like I did not know he was planning to take me somewhere, since he told me to pack a weekend bag on Thursday, but I expected to wind up at his apartment again, while classes are out for the weekend. It has only been five days since we returned from the meeting and we still have not entirely figured out how our living situation will work.

Most Were couples live together once they are mated. However, even though he spends most of his time here now, Ryland lives in Italy and I most certainly do not. My cabin is a little too small for two large cats to co-exist in. Not that we couldn't, but it might get hard at times. Especially since I need to focus on college with finals on the horizon and having him around constantly does not make for a productive study time. It has not been talked about, but it seems there is an unspoken understanding that he will not be asking anything of me until after finals are over in a month. And I mean anything. He has not brought up sex even once.

The silence continues to grow, filled by only the truck's rumbling engine. "You know, if you aren't going to tell me, then just say you aren't going to tell me. The silent treatment is annoying," I grumble, trying to sit up from my awkward position.

A hand immediately drops from the wheel to my forehead, pressing down a little to keep me in his lap. "I'm not going to tell you," he says, his voice serious, but ruined by the smile on his face.

While I am glad he is talking, that does not mean I am glad he took my advice and used it against me. Feeling a little spiteful, I roll over so that my nose is pressed into his abdomen. "If you don't tell me, I can make things very unpleasant for you," I promise, smirking into his shirt.

When he laughs, the fabric tickles my nose from the movement, "I don't see how you could, but feel free to try."

-

"Now really isn't a good time, Mom."

Ryland looks up from where he had been kissing his way up my naked thigh, stopping only to give me a questioning look before resuming his teasing. I only answered the phone because this is the third time she has tried to call since we got home from the gathering, which was only a couple of hours ago. I would feel bad if I ignored her again. Besides, she is probably only calling to make sure we returned home safely.