Chapter Seven: Love Letters

~Chapter Seven: Love Letters~

Apparently, part of the reason that Dylan drove out to visit me was to give me my Jeep back. After what had happened on Monday, he realized it would be best for me to be able to drive myself so I would not accept rides from strangers at one in the morning. And while I am happy to have my Jeep back, I am pissed at Dylan for assigning wolves to watch my town without at least telling me. 

How did I not notice them?

However, Dylan did earn some brownie points back when I found out that the reason he did not show up shortly after I hung up on him was because he wanted to let me sleep more - though he cannot convince me that his choice to wait wasn't at least partially influenced by self-preservation, as I hate being woken up, and he knows it. Still, it would have been a nice gesture had he not come storming into my home with accusations. He had apologized a few more times before he left later that day, but I still warned him that he had better not visit me until the week is over, as I need a break from overprotective wolves.

Of course, the break had also given me a chance to talk to Ryland without Dylan breathing down my neck. I needed to put a limit on what that lion can and cannot do while here, and Dylan would have only gotten in the way by shoving himself in the middle of any negotiations, likely ruining any chance of a peaceful agreement. And I had also highly doubted that Dylan would let me just run away to visit my family for a few weeks if the negotiation fails, as he would have likely try to fight for my honor or something. 

However, it seems my concern had been unnecessary, as nothing bad came of the conversation I ended up having with Ryland. I had been a bit nervous calling the number the lion had given me, but I had still called him shortly after Dylan left, figuring the sooner, the better. 

And maybe I had wanted to practice what I remembered from my Italian classes, too.

"Pronto," Ryland had greeted.

"Ciao, Ryland, sono Cade."

The silence had made me nervous, but, in hindsight, I wonder if he was trying not to laugh at me; my accent is horrible, after all. "Was it really that bad?" I remember asking. 

"Not at all, Cade; I was just surprised," the lion had said, and I am pretty sure there had been an almost audible grin. At the time, though, I had hardly noticed it, as I was too relieved that he did not seem unhappy to receive my call, and took it as a good sign, choosing to dive right into what I had called him about.

"We need to talk about you marking my territory. It needs to stop."

Ryland had sighed in response, but I am still not sure if it was out of annoyance or reluctance. "I apologize if I upset you, Cade, but it was not meant as a challenge."

"Then why the hell did you start scratching up the trees outside my house while I was here? It felt a lot like a taunt, especially since I marked those trees already, in case you didn't get the message," I had snarled.

His answer was simple: "Old habits."

What kind of old habit is that?

"Well, stop it. That's all I ask." And I remember having to shove my anger back with a mental pitchfork to avoid sounding too angry.

"All right, I will try. But can I ask something from you as well? You can say no, but I would appreciate it if you agreed," Ryland had said. And, thinking back on it, his words had sounded rehearsed.

"What is it?"

"Is it possible for you to stay out of the town on Saturday?"

It, thankfully, did not take hindsight for me to know what he had meant, as I had figured it out almost instantly. "No problem. Making a move on your mate?"