Chapter Twenty-Four: Favor Owed

~Chapter Twenty-Four: Favor Owed~

Resting my head against the back of the cold stone bench in the late afternoon sunlight, I close my eyes and listen to the cars pulling into the parking lot and those leaving. There are many more leaving than arriving, though, as many students – myself included – have just finished their final class of the day and are heading home.

This morning, I woke up to Ryland's face hovering above mine, telling me to wake up. It was the first time that I have seen him since Thursday night and it is safe to say I was not expecting him. In his text, he said that he would pick me up after class, presumably at my house. I pointed that out to him, even going so far as pulling out my phone to show him his text, and all he said – in his thickly-accented voice – was, "I missed you."

While it did not set my heart 'aflutter' or ease my annoyance at being woken up, it did satisfy my attention-loving inner cat enough that I let him drive me to class. To my sleep-addled mind, it seemed like a good idea to get a few more minutes of shut-eye before academic hell. However, I did not realize that it would also mean waiting in the parking lot for Ryland to pick me up.

A familiar engine approaches and the truck pulls into the emptying parking lot. Only when the truck comes to a stop a few parking spots away do I open my eyes and stand up. "How was your day?" Ryland asks, not even a second after I open door.

I drop my backpack on the floor of the cab before grabbing the roof for support and getting in the truck. From what I have learned, hopping in only lands me in awkward positions and trying to step up without the roof support ends with me nearly falling on my butt. Why isn't there a step? "It was fine, boring," I answer, strapping myself in.

Lectures are far from my favorite part of college. It is the field trips, the exercises, and engaging assignments that actually pique my interest. "Once we return to my apartment, I want to talk about the favor you own me," Ryland says, getting straight to the point.

"I've been waiting for over a week. Tell me now," I complain. Ever since he returned last night, I have been waiting for a text or some sort of confirmation that he actually remembered. If he forgot, I would not be the one to remind him, though, which is why I have been unusually patient with him. Now that he remembers, I am not waiting.

Ryland glances over at me as he backs out of the parking spot. "I want you to spend the rest of the week at my apartment or with me outside your classes, weekend included," he declares. I grimace, reaching for the button to release my seatbelt. However, the lion catches on and one of his hands closes over the seatbelt lock. "I didn't finish."

"I only owe you one favor," I remind him harshly, poking around his hand childishly in hopes of finding a weakness in his grip. The truck is barely going five miles per hour right now, which makes this the perfect time to bail out.

"I am not asking for more. What I want is to give you three...three safe zones?" He pauses to consider his wording for a moment before shrugging. "Three safe zones. Pick three reasonable things that you do not want me to do. Kissing is inevitable, though."

While going along with this does not bode well for me, I repay favors...even if they are as annoying as this one. "I want to sleep on-"

He does not even let me finish before cutting me off, "No. Pick something else."

"You don't even know what I was going to say," I accuse, though it is clear that he actually did. He's worse than Dylan during out sleepovers...or not. Sweaty wolves vs. cuddly lion.