Chapter Fifteen: Time to Talk

~Chapter Fifteen: Time to Talk~

"A what?"

I frown at Ryland's answer. Maybe he did not hear me right? "A mating frenzy," I repeat.

Ryland turns away from the sizzling pan to look me dead in the eye, his hands still working to make sure it does not burn. "Even if you repeat yourself, I will still have no idea what that means," he replies slowly, as if to make sure I can understand him.

My cheeks flush slightly at his tone, embarrassed that I misunderstood his meaning. "Uh, you know, when a Were makes a move on their intended mate and the mate - maybe unknowingly - accepts their advances and then the initiator-"

"You mean the second phase of the mating process?" Ryland asks, cutting me off. While I do not appreciate being cut off, all I do is glare and nod, holding my tongue to keep from saying anything stupid when we are talking about such an important question. "I never understood all those silly American terms."

"Just answer the question," I snap anyway.

He sighs. "Yes, I have," Ryland replies, confirming my fears. I was right; I did not want to hear that out-loud. But since there is no way to take back my question, I settle for trying to knock it out of my head by banging it against the refrigerator. Repeatedly.

However, a hand on my shoulder stops me by pulling me away and closer to Ryland. Before I know it, I am positioned between the lion and the stove, one of his hands still on the pan handle. I would push him away, but that could result in the pan spilling its contents all over the stove - and me.

"There is no reason to hurt yourself," he says as he continues to stir, as if I was not standing in front of him, partially blocking his view of the food.

I try to slip under his arm, but his elbows immediately move in closer so that they are touching my sides, making it harder to get away. Maybe if I move fast enough, I could push him away and move to the side, letting the hot food land on him. However, that is not a desirable method and it is not like he is sexually harassing me like the last time. If anything, I just feel like a toddler in a playpen, locked away so I cannot hurt myself. Though, need I remind him - and myself, apparently - that I am an adult and do not need 'adult supervision' to play with 'big kid' things?

"Can you please let me go?" I ask after a moment, grinding my teeth a little at having to be so close to him and yet be unable to push him away.

He does not reply as he turns off the stove and suddenly releases me as he moves towards the cabinet with the dishes. To my surprise, he only pulls out one bowl, but grabs two plates, setting them down on the counter. Then he goes to the refrigerator and takes out two...pastries, which he places on each of the plates. Next, he fills the single bowl with whatever it is that he was cooking on the stove. It appears to be a creamy chicken mixed with vegetables and other unidentifiable ingredients.

Passing me the bowl, Ryland picks up the two pastries and leads the way to the couches, leaving me to reluctantly follow after locating a clean spoon. He sets one of the pastries down on the table before seating himself across from it. Keeping an eye on him, I set the bowl down next to the plate he left for me.

"Aren't you going to have any?" I ask, gesturing with my spoon at the bowl.

Ryland starts to shake his head before I even finish my question. "I do not eat large breakfasts. A pastry will do," he replies before taking a bite of said pastry.

"Yeah, but you shifted. Twice. How aren't you hungry?" I cannot help but ask. It is not that I care if he eats a lot or not, but if he is hungry and only holding back because of tradition or whatever, that could mean this 'conversation' I want to have might just end with snappy answers and grumpiness. That is how everyone I know reacts when hungry and I am not sure why Ryland would be any different.