08 | Fragile Time

Start from the beginning

I squinted at him, searching yet again for a motive, some sort of punchline. I found nothing.

"You better not make me regret this, Hideyoshi," I grumbled. I didn't understand why I even bothered to give him a second chance. Maybe I was a masochist, after all.

Or maybe you like him.

I scowled, and yanked the car door shut.

"Are we down to last names now?" Yuko teased as he slid into the passenger seat.

"Yes," I muttered. I was trying to be hostile, goddamit. Why can't he take me seriously?

"Hideyoshi is quite a mouthful, you know. Yuko is much simpler," he commented mockingly as he revved the engine. I rolled my eyes, "Whatever."

After half an hour of silence, we ended up pulling up outside a run-down one-storey building. Just above the entrance was a large, neon sign that spelled Bigby's Game House. The sign flickered weakly, before the first letter B went out.

Squinting, I could make out several pin-ball machines, electronically-operated basketball score hoops and billiard tables.
I cast Yuko a suspicious glance, pursing my lips.

"Tell me again why we are in an arcade," I grumbled, crossing my arms and shooting Yuko an expectant look. "Well?"

"We're here to have fun," Yuko shrugged, steeping into the dimly lit arcade. Although it was a Saturday, there were only a handful of people here. Most of them were teenagers like us, and no one cast us a second glance.

"You drove half an hour out of the city to go to some run-down arcade so we can have fun?" I deadpanned. Yuko's lips quirked into a small, amused smile.

"It's more fun when people don't recognise us," he shrugged, before grabbing my wrist. "Now come on, I only have an hour left with you."

I allowed him to drag me to the counter, where the bored looking receptionist stamped our hands and passed us a plastic card. She hadn't bothered to look up at us, which strangely ticked me off.

"You have five hundred credits," the girl muttered, chewing her gum loudly and obnoxiously. "Each game costs fifty credits, and you'll earn credits if you win the game or if you score a high score."

"Thanks," Yuko said softly, grabbing the card that she placed on the counter. This time, the girl looked up and seemed slightly awe-struck when she saw Yuko.

"W-welcome," she stuttered, blushing furiously. I scoffed, rolling my eyes. Without another word, I grabbed his wrist and yanked him towards the first game.

"Jealous?" Yuko sang teasingly, causing me to blush slightly. I thanked God for the dim lighting and frowned.

"She was being pathetic," I snapped, letting go of his hand.

We stopped in front of a first-person shooter game, and I grabbed the plastic gun from the stand. I pointed the gun at Yuko, and gestured for him to grab his own.

"The clock's ticking," I said, raising an eyebrow at him. "Grab the gun, loser."

Yuko grinned, throwing me off-guard and leaving me breathless for a second as he grabbed the other gun.

"Is that a challenge, Marissa?"

"Sure is."

I was breathing heavily after the game ended, and I placed both hands on my hips as I shot Yuko a triumphant smirk.