You Take Away the Breath I was Keeping for Sunrise

"Bumlets, wake up!" someone whispered in his ear.

Bumlets groaned and slowly opened his eyes. Swifty was staring at him intently.

"What do you want?" Bumlets was still groggy.

"Come up on the roof with me," Swifty said, tugging on his arm. The older newsie reluctantly got up.

The two silently made their way up to the roof of the lodging house, successful in not waking the others up. God only knows what type of punishment the two would receive for interrupting their sleep. When they got up there Bumlets immediately turned around ready to jump back in bed. It was freezing.

"Oh no you don't," Swifty took hold of his shoulders.

"C'mon Swift, we're gonna end up freezing our asses of out here," he complained.

"I'll keep you warm," he joked.

They sat down on the roof.

"Why are we out here, again?" Bumlets shivered.

"You'll see."

The two talked about pointless things to pass the time. Then the sun began to rise.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Swifty asked.

"Yeah," Bumlets agreed. The sky was a lovely shade of pink with a little purple thrown in. He looked over at Swifty and his breath got caught in his throat. He was bathed in the newly introduced sunlight. He didn't know how long he was staring, but Swifty finally took noticed.

"Something the matter?"

"No, it's just...you look..."

"Horrible?"

"No... perfect. You look perfect," Bumlets decided.

"Well, uh, so do you," Swifty smiled nervously. They both leaned in, slowly. The kiss was rather awkward, but at the same time it was perfect.  

**  **  **

The title is taken from Sunrise by The Who (video above).