Love Nest

Sarah Jacobs was no fool. She knew it was going to happen eventually. Still, she mentally kicked herself for not noticing how strange Jack had been acting those last couple of days. Jack had started spending more time with her. Sarah loved Jack, she really did. Even if he loved David more than he loved her. Jack didn't really spend that much time with her even though they were 'together' he always spent most of his time at the Jacobs' residence with Davey. She would sit and do her lacework, smiling slightly whenever she heard them laughing.

She had heard it from Skittery of all people. Sarah was going to surprise Jack and David by buying them lunch with the money she had left. Skittery, Tumbler, and Les were the only newsies there. It was then that she was informed that Jack and David were currently at the trainyard.

"What, why?" she had asked, concerned.

"Cowboy's leavin'" Skittery looked up at her, his usual frown seemed to soften when he say her face.

"I have to go," Sarah said more to herself. She hurried out of the door and started sprinting. She didn't stop until she was at the train station.

It was pretty easy to spot the two. They were extremely close. Jack was saying something in David's ear. He just nodded solemnly. Sarah didn't know how long she stood there watching. David left and she made her way through the crowd. Sarah came up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around.

"Sarah, I... hey," Jack stammered.

"Jack, I know that we aren't, weren't, really together, but I'm still going to miss you." Jack looked at her with a look of bewilderment. There was a whistle telling passengers it was time to board the train. "I'd hurry up if I were you, Santa Fe can't wait forever."

"I promised Davey I'd write to him."

"I'm sure he'll share all the exciting parts." Jack picked up the small, worn suitcase he had and walked away nodding. Sarah, took a long, deep breath and walked in the opposite direction.