Empathy and Emma

Sarah loved Jack. Keyword, loved. Now, she wasn't sure. She knew he loved her to some extent. He had never told her, but she knew he loved her. Sarah also knew he loved David more. He had always loved David more, and he always would, and she was okay with that. It was strange just how okay with it she was. She empathized with him. Yes empathized, because there was a girl named Emma Sharp who lived three doors down. She had silky black hair and long legs, and green eyes. She also seemed to like Sarah very much.

   When Sarah first met Jack she thought he was the most interesting person in the world. That was because Sarah didn't have many friend and she didn't know many boys. She had novels and poetry. Then, out of nowhere, this mysterious street urchin came over for dinner. Looking back on it she blamed her inexperience, the newness of it. Looking back on it she realized all she wanted was a good friend. All she wanted was to know what made a headline good.

   When Sarah first met Emma, she was enamored. She could breathe, she couldn't speak. Emma seemed like she should have been in a picture show like the one Sarah had seen before her father's accident. She found out Emma was a seamstress and was exactly half a year older than she was. They were similar in so many ways. They both loved to read and had to support their families. They even talked about opening up a dress shop together, even though they knew it would never happen.

   At first, Sarah was convinced she liked her younger brother, David. The two were always talking, equally upsetting both Jack and Sarah. She'd pout and cross her arms before going and worked on her lace and needle point. Then Emma would come over and help her and she wouldn't be so mad. Jack and David would go out on the fire escape and shut the window. This seemed to happen a lot, yet no one ever mentioned anything. One day the truth came out, and the reaction was not one Sarah was expecting.

   The two girls were in the Sharps' apartment working on a dress.

"So, Sarah, when's the wedding?" Emma asked out of the blue. Sarah looked up from her sewing.

"What wedding?"

"You and Jack seem serious, I'm assuming you two are going to marry one day."

"I used to think that too, but then..." Sarah stopped herself.

"But then, what?" the dark haired woman egged on.

"But then I met you, and now...I'm not so sure."

"Why aren't you so sure," Emma asked. Sarah swore she was getting closer.

"Well...enough about me, what about you and David?" Sarah deflected the question.

"What about David and me?"

"You two seem interested in each other," Sarah cleared her throat.

"Is that why you won't tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"Tell me you want to do this," and with that she closed the gap between the two. Sarah knew quite a few things. She knew that girls shouldn't enjoy kissing each other, but she couldn't help it.

   Sarah loved Jack. Keyword, loved. Now, she wasn't sure. She knew he loved her to some extent. He had never told her, but she knew he loved her. Sarah also knew he loved David more. He had always loved David more, and he always would, and she was okay with that. It was strange just how okay with it she was. She empathized with him. Yes empathized, because there was a girl named Emma Sharp who lived three doors down. She had silky black hair and long legs, and green eyes. She also loved Sarah who loved her right back.

**  **  **

I know I haven't updated in forever. I'd love some feed back and I'm taking request.