Chapter 25: A Deathly Drive Home

Start from the beginning

I stayed silent as he yelled at the old lady driving in front of us. There was no reason for me to over think seeing Marcy. They probably were just getting into the car! Yeah, that’s what happened. David didn’t lie! He was just stating what Marcy had told him, that they were leaving.

“I saw Marcy in the parking lot,” I blurted.

There was a pause, “And…”

“And you said she went home.”

He chuckled, “Am I suppose to know where she is at all times? Maybe they didn’t—“

“How did you know where I was too? You seem to pop up everywhere, whenever I…” I stopped, pushing my hair to one side of my neck, “never mind.”

David let out a slow breath, keeping his distance between the cars. He probably doesn’t want someone damaging it. His eyes drifted to the rear view mirror. I looked in my side mirror to see a giant truck, with a hillbilly looking guy driving, “I swear, if this guy behind us hits my car—“

The car behind us honked their monster-like horn, and the driver screamed, “Move it you—“The next word I hadn’t heard in a long time.

I let out a gasp, and then looked behind us. David kept his hands wrapped around the steering wheel, until they turned white. “David, don’t get aggressive towards him. He could hurt you!”

“I’m not…yet,” he replied between clenched teeth.

The guy in back of us beeped, his horn making me jump. “Move your damn Barbie car back to Malabo, and get the hell out of my way!” a southerner voice screamed. It belonged to the man driving the truck.

That’s it, this guys going to get it now.

I rolled down my window and stuck my head out, to see the man with his door open, leaning out over the window. “Mind your own business you low life, ugly piece of crap!” I replied, to get him out of the truck.

“Excuse me?”

I got back in the car quickly rolling down my window, “David, David!”

David kept his elbow rested on the window calmly, “I’ll handle it,” he said in a dry tone.

“What happened to the angry hulk from before? That man could come in handy!”

The redneck tapped on David’s window. I recognized him as one of the workers at the game booth. “Well if it isn’t Mr. Star, fancy seeing you here!” The redneck sneered, “how about you get out of the car, so we can have a nice chat about your girl!”

I grabbed onto my Boss’ bicep, “David, don’t you dare!”

He pointed at me with a finger, opening the car door. “Stay,” he commanded.

I sat back in my seat in defeat, as he closed the door behind him. The redneck pointed a finger in his face, telling him off. I strained to listen, but it seems the windows are soundproof. David put his hands up as if to say he doesn’t want any trouble. The redneck gave him a shove, so that David’s stance wavered.

My heartbeat continued to beat hard, as I numbly opened the car door. “Get your hands off him!” I shouted, running up next to David. The redneck is shockingly close to David’s height and weight, and kept his hands on the hem of David’s t-shirt. I tried to pry the stranger’s hands off of him, and the guy shoved me away roughly.

 “Keep your chick in line, Buddy. This is between you and me!” The bearded man stepped away from David, to shoot daggers at me.

“Get back in the car,” David spoke slowly, his voice calm.