Chapter Four - Marco Polo

The next day Lanie, Andrew, and I decided to go to the pool. I changed into my new white bikini with a low cut top and white bottoms with gold rings on the sides. I grabbed a towel, put on my flip flops and walked out into the hallway, where Lanie was wearing a pink plain bikini and Andrew was wearing green swim trunks with white stripes up the sides, they both had a towel. 

Yesterday when Andrew and I came back to our rooms, I told Lanie everything. She flipped out, partly because Jacob was here, but also because that might mean Cameron is here too. 

As we were in the elevator going down to the pool, she brought it up again. "I still can't believe Jacob is in the same Hotel as us. I mean what are the chances?" 

I smiled, because I've been thinking the same thing non-stop for quite a while now. "I know right," I said. "Just remember that if you see him don't let him know you know who he is."

"Yeah, yeah. I know," Lanie smiled at me as the elevator stopped and the the metal doors opened. We walked out into the hallway and made our way over to the indoor pool.

It was pretty nice, there were two slides, and the water got pretty deep - to about 12 foot, and there were to stair ways leading into the pool by the shallow end. We set our stuff down and climbed into the coolish water.

It's been about an half an hour of races and just plain goofing around with us three before we notice someone walking into the pool area.

Jacob.

Lanie eyes go wide and her mouth opens before she remembers what I said and smooths out her features. Jacob notices us and smiles politely, setting his own towel down. Then as he walked closer to the pool he recognized me and Andrew.

"Hey," he said to me. "Aren't you the girl I met at the vending machine?"

"Yeah," I say. "You're... um..." I act like I forgot his name.

He looks a little disappointed as he says, "Jacob."

I nod and move closer to the edge of the pool where he's standing, the water moving around me, creating little bubbles. "Oh, yeah," I say, and smile. It's hard to act like I'm not talking to my most favorite person in the world.

Jacob's smile returns. "And you're Ellie, right?"

I cannot believe Jacob Sartorius remembered my name!

"Yup," I say. Then I just stare up at him, holding on to the pool's edge, and he's staring down at me, smiling. And I'm smiling. And I feel like I just won all the money in the world.

Then I remember that Lanie and Andrew are here. I take a few steps back and motion toward them. "This girl right here is Lanie," I say. "And you all ready met Andrew."

"Hey, guys," Jacob says.

"Hi," Lanie says, her voice sounding only a little airy. 

Andrew nods in Jacob's direction and smiles. Jacob hops into the deep end of the pool, where we are now, and swims over to us. "Do you mind if I join you? It got a little boring in the hotel room."

"Yeah, it's cool dude. We're not really doing anything but you can hang with us if you want," Andrew says.

"Alright." Jacob swims closer to us so that we're treading water in kind of a circle. 

"How about we play a game," Lanie suggests.

"What game?" Andrew looks over to Lanie and moves around in the water a bit.

"I don't know," she says, and shrugs.

"How about Marco Polo," I say.

"That sounds good," says Jacob. And the realization that I'm not hearing his voice through a screen makes me dizzy for a second. "But how about we start off at the shallower end."

We all agree and swim over to the more shallow side. "Okay," Andrew says. Who's going to be it."

"I will," says Jacob. "I think it's more fun." 

I smile to myself. That's exactly what I think.

Jacob starts to count down from three to give us a head start, I swim as fast as I can and make it to the middle of pool before Jacobs yells, "Marco!" All three of us say, "Polo!" And Jacob goes toward the closest voice, which was Lanie. She laughs and ducks underwater and swims away. "Marco!" Jacob says again. "Polo!" We all reply. 

This goes on four about two more minutes before I get cornered. Its at the shallow and of the pool where the water is only up to my thighs. I'm standing near the corner, and Jacob is one foot in front of me, with his back turned. He doesn't know I'm behind him.

When he yells, "Marco!" I look down and muffle a "Polo," and Jacob quickly spins around in the water - his eyes closed, his hands stretched out in front of him, and a goofy grin on his face. I giggle slips through my lips, and his grin grows wider. 

He walks slowly toward me, and I back away at the same pace until I feel the pools edge against my back. Jacob keeps walking forward though, and he comes so close to me that I feel his warm breath graze my forehead. Then Jacob moves toward me one more step and his open palm caresses my bare stomach.

A shiver runs down my spine. Jacob feels it underneath his hand and opens his eyes. He looks at me as he moves his hand to cup my side, and my breath turns shallow. I become helpless and warm under his touch, and the only thing I can do to keep myself in control is stare into his eyes.

"You're it," he whispers.