20. Shoot or Die

PART THREE
Shoot or Die

twenty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

       "I see it!" I limp-run to the spiral staircase and carefully cross the gap in it, having Soryu after me.

    "What is it?" I hear his footsteps right behind me as I reach the top.

    "A third floor!" I almost run to the oval opening and lean on the railing, looking up toward the ceiling.

    "A third floor?" He asks confused as he appears next to me, looking in the same direction as I am.

     "Look," I pull him by the arm closer to me, our bodies completely touching as I point upward. "They made it appear like an illusion but it's not. You see the light on both sides and think it's windows," From the side we're standing on, we see the windows. "And if you come to this side," We round the railing to the other side and back up to the wall. "On this side—those are pillars. That must mean there's a third floor up there because you don't see windows right away like on the other side."

    "You're right," Soryu wears a surprised expression as he continues to look it over. "It is an illusion. I never bothered to pay attention to it. What do you think is up there?" He asks as I'm already looking for any sign of entrance or a way to get up there.

    "A third floor," I say in an obvious tone. Nothing leads from the ceiling to the walls that indicate a way to get up there. I jog over to the right wall. I scrutinize the wall that connects to the one in the first floor. "Look," I beckon him over. "This is the part where it has the castle figure from the outside. It has three small rectangle windows descending."

    "But... where are the windows here?" He asks, looking for them.

    "Exactly," I say and beckon him over to a window that shows the half circled protrude I was just talking about. I point to it, "That's what I'm talking about, the windows are there."

    "So, where's the entrance?"

    "It's either here in the second floor or in the first floor," I say.

       "Well lets check here first," And so we do. We scrutinize every inch of the wall and find nothing with an opening. "Hey," Soryu catches my attention. "What if the opening is behind this huge painting?" He lifts it up a bit.

       I look up to it and stand before it. It's enormous. It must be heavy.  "All right, lets move it."

       "What? We won't support it,"

    "It's the only way to find out, though," I lift it up a bit from the wall and see nothing but a wall. "Okay, how about we both lift it off from the wall and you pound the wall as hard as you can. Maybe it'll break or something." He glances at me confused. "You know, like in movies." He gives me a deadpan look before we lift it off the wall. But when Soryu pounds his fist against the wall, all I hear is the sound of his fist smacking against it and nothing breaking.

    "It's just wall." Says Soryu as we both let go of the painting. Dust flies out around it as Soryu observes his now red fist. I cough out and wave off the dust from my face.

    "You okay?" I begin to walk toward him when I hear a creaking sound. I stay still. Hoping it's not what I think it is, I look toward my right, where the painting is hanging and realizes it's coming toward me. Wow.

    "Reina, watch out!" I gasp and back away from area the painting is falling to. I miscalculate and it just gets the point of my shoes. I scream and groan at the prick of pain traveling up my body. The painting falls and breaks into large pieces in front of us, dust rises from the carpeted floor.