4.

• four •

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was left in the hands of The Angelic Artist, or as Ota declared himself as, to watch over me. He said back in Japan that's how the media knows him as. I stopped paying attention to what he was saying after that. He is such a cheerful person, I start to wonder how being happy and carefree all the time might feel like.

I insert the key to the apartment I stay with a friend named Amanda from work. I didn't have a place to stay at or a place to work at for a long time until Amanda noticed me entering the Worlds Famous Pancakes and Breakfast place I now work in the mornings. I accepted her as I friend as she gave me a full meal that day without me having to pay a cent. She has such a kind heart, she sat and had a conversation with me as I ate, it was late at night. When her shift was over, she offered me to stay in her place as long I wished for, for she had a second room she never used.

I never trusted no one or believed in anyone and I realized we shared a familiar back story. Her mother died when she was younger and her father always fled for a couple of days when there was trouble. So she knew the day would come when that happen. Her and her younger brother, Mark, were waiting in their fathers truck one night as he went inside the store to buy something, but he never returned. An hour passed and Amanda knew the day had come. She took care of herself and her brother until the age of eighteen.

They both work in the same IHOP as I do, but the difference between us three, I work cleaning offices from six pm to one in the morning and they sell their bodies to strangers just to keep food in the table. Her brother doesn't live with us, and I never knew why because I never bothered to ask.

As soon as I open the door and hear unpleasant noises violate my ears, I immediately shut it close forcefully. I sigh, my breath shaking on the way out. They are right there in the living room. I know it's one of those days for Amanda.

"What's wrong, Tama?" I jump at the sound of his voice. I briefly forgot he was with me. I glance over my shoulder to him. He is trying so hard to fight off the smirk off his face. I know he wants to laugh too.

"Uh, wait here." I order him and scurry inside and shut the door, averting my gaze from the scene. As soon they see me enter, they jump out of their skins and off of each other.

The guy quickly gets dressed and plants a sloppy kiss on Amanda's lips. "See you later, babe," he says to her before leaving out the door. I hold the door open for him, just like I always do to every guy that comes here. He stares at Ota strangely before actually leaving. I almost close the door on Ota, but he pushes it open. Though he wears a smile, his eyes look tense and stern.

He steps inside and Amanda notices him as she wraps herself in a blanket. "Uh, Reina," She laughs nervously. "Who's that?" She asks with wide eyes. "Did you bring a surprise client for me?"

"What?" I look at her like she's crazy. "Amanda, you know I wouldn't get involved with your job."

"I know," She taps my cheek with a teasing smile. I shoot her a glare and swap her hand away. She chuckles. "It's just fun to tease you about it," She glances at Ota. "Is he your boyfriend? He's pretty hot,"

My glare toward her answers her question. She laughs and fixes the blanket around her. "Well I need to go to work," She crosses the living room, shooting a smile at Ota before disappearing in her room. "Wait, what the hell are you doing here so early anyway?"

"Oh, I--" I stop mid sentence as realization hits me. I completely forgot about work today! "Oh my God!" I yell and reach for my phone.

"Looks like someone got carried away with their whole day off," Sing-songs Amanda before disappearing to her room. Excusing myself from Ota, I head to the kitchen to notify my boss about my sudden leaving. It's really sad that I have to quit my job because I don't know when I'm returning. I really like that job.