Chapter 6 - Flaming Red

--Flaming Red--

Controlling your emotions is the worst possible way to deal with them. So, I cried. Cried like I'll never have the chance to cry again. Cried because I was once again broken, because I was once again left alone and because this time there was no escape. 

This was not how I intended my Monday to go. It was supposed to be a boring, normal and long Monday, just like any other. Only it wasn't. It started with a bang, a bad kind of bang which made my emotions explode into something which constricts my breathing, freedom and will. 

Everything was fucked up. Every single thing.

But I had to get myself together. I always had in the past and it's about time I do it again. After I cried my heart out, I washed my face and rubbed away any traces of ruined mascara and liner. I reapplied my make-up, pulled my hair up in a tight bun and took a deep breath while staring at myself in the mirror. My eyes were sullen, there was no shine in them. They were just plain, dull, grey orbs. My hair needs some coloring. My clothes were slightly wrinkled, but they will do for today, I guess.

I walked out of my bathroom and picked up my purse. I was an hour and half late for the office, surprisingly there were no missed calls from anyone. I locked my apartment and headed out of the building to head towards the office.

When your personal life is giving you pain, rely on your professional one and vice-versa. One of them had to be going smooth and if they both decide to ditch you, then I don't know what to do because I am Skylar not some damn Philosopher. 

Of course, I had to hear an earful from Axel on being late, and I did so too with minute attention not towards his words, but towards the man I could clearly see in the small glass-walled meeting room. 

He was in his clothes from the morning, which I didn't noticed earlier. But now as I did, my anger towards him vanished. I was definitely blinded by his good looks. His jaw was strong, his posture just like the confident man any woman would love to worship, and his green eyes just as bright.

It was funny how, I was able to make out so much from his appearance even though he was a good 9 feet away from me. Maybe, paying attention really does matter.

"Skylar? Are you even listening to me?" Axel's voice broke my chain of thoughts. I felt irritated, not that I was awed by the man I was observing or was enjoying the scene. I mean, I hate Diego and no matter how mouthwatering he may look, he is just as good as a cockroach to me.

"Of course, Axel. And I'll never be late from now on." I said, feigning seriousness. 

He looked at me doubtfully, but nodded anyway and disappeared inside his office. I settled in my cubicle and turned on my computer, waiting for it to log in. 

I felt lost. Maybe I lost myself somewhere in the chaos, I call my life. 

I wondered why everything was so messed up. Why Erik was there in my apartment that day? Why Diego was suddenly back?

I wondered why I was born in my family? The Villarreals

There are few things about my past, which no one in New York knows, except for that one man who left me with my muddled thoughts in the morning. 

If you'll ask me, Who is Skylar Valdez? Then I'll reply, a normal girl living her life normally. She is insignificant blonde in this huge city, not of any importance to anyone but herself. 

But, if you'll ask me, Who is Skylar Villarreal? Then the answer might not be so simple. Because that Skylar is no insignificant blonde, she is not normal and she is apparently of very much importance. And most of all, that Skylar is a runaway case.