Prologue

--Prologue-- 

I was slightly afraid. But they taught me to never be afraid, so I will be not. I am an Osorio, we are brave and we are fighters. We don't succumb under fear. 

"Papa?" I tried hard to control the tremble in my voice but couldn't.

"Yes, hijo?" He looked at me sternly like I was not worth his time. And maybe I was not.

"uh...I just wanted to ask you, if what Leo said is true?" I measured my tone, not wanting to disturb the peace of his library. It was so quiet and musty, can definitely use some air fresheners if you ask me. 

"Yes." Father replied curtly and got back to his book.

"But.."

"Diego, hijo, you should know your priorities by now." His glance was quick but I still caught the disapproval in it. 

"Yes, da--papa. But, marrying is not my priority." Not now, not ever. 

I refrained from adding that no man like me in his prime wants to get married at 19. Is it too difficult for my family to understand? 

"It will be. You're excused for now." He shut his book and I took the hint. He wanted me to leave the topic for now and get the hell out of his space.

I walked out of the library, deeply disturbed. God knows, why I was born in this family. I could have been born in some slum and would have been the same man, actually merrier.

"Diego, chiquito! What were you doing in your father's library?" I saw my mother coming towards me with frantic eyes.

"I went to talk about the marriage prop--"

"Hijo, it is very important for us, and for her, you know this. What's the point of all the tantrums?"  She gently took my hand in hers, I pulled away immediately. 

"Mother, she is only 17. And I am only 19. I don't know about her but I am not ready for marriage." I knew it didn't really matter to her but it was worth a try.

"You'll be 20 in a week! Try to understand, son. Please." I hate it when my mother looks at me like I am her only hope. The only sun who could help her sunflowers blossom. It has always made me feel vulnerable but looking at her, it was the last thing I felt. All I felt was anger and frustration buzzing through my body. 

"Mother, I am not on board with this." I rushed past her. 

I wanted to thrash my room and break all the furniture. That's exactly what I did. My family was rich, they could foot the bill.

~~***~~ 

"Feliz cumpleaños!" Adana exclaimed with joy, screaming in my ear. She was jumping up and down on my bed.

"Stop right there. I am not celebrating, get out of my room." I glared at her, and it stopped all her movements at once. 

"But, it's your birthday!" My not-so-little-anymore sister whined, sitting cross-legged on the bed.

"I don't care." I pushed the blankets off me and sat up with a huff.

"Diego...For the love of God, cheer up!" Her attempts were sweet but to no avail.

"Go away, Ana. I am not in the mood." I closed my eyes, resting my head on the headrest.

"Come on! You're now 20! Aren't you excited?" It's funny how my sister was trying to act way more excited than she actually was for my birthday.  

"Adana." I warned her, still keeping my eyes closed.

"Okay, fine. Continue being an ass. I was just trying to be a good sister." Her sass revealed itself, cutting through her fake saccharine tone.