Chapter 47: Immortality

Start from the beginning

I held a lock of Rien's hair in my hand and twirled it around my fingers before letting it fall, once again limp onto his wide shoulder. "If I were to ask you to promise me that you'll come out of this alive, do you think you could do it?" I asked him quietly—seriously.

Rien's brows furrowed and the smile fell from his face. I suppose I had my answer, but I watched him anyway. He wrapped his hand around my waist and dropped his forehead onto my chest and the silence between us was thick with what he didn't say. With what he didn't promise. What he couldn't promise me.

"I understand." I assured him, running a hand through his silky hair. "I wish I hadn't wasted all my time with you. I'm sorry." I told him sincerely, and it was then that he pulled away and climbed onto the ledge with me. He put his legs over on either side and turned to face me. Then he looked out onto the compound, at those watching and those who were not.

"I was once a confident man." Rien began with a small, sad smile. "I am immortal, but I am not indestructible. I was once foolish enough to think I was and I led armies into battle with that foolish confidence. I was young and I thought nothing could defeat me, for I was Lord Riener of the warrior coven, the king's son, trained by my own wit and courage. I believed no one could touch me and that since I led my men, then no one could touch them."

Rien smiled. "The first time I went to battle, it was with this confidence, and not one of my number died. And the second time was much the same and so was the third and so it went until I found myself being called by a name many have since come to fear; the Merciless Prince." Rien looked up and I followed suit. The stars were bright tonight.

"The first time I lost a warrior in battle I did not understand it, for my men were as indestructible as I. I watched the life drain from my pupil's eyes and I could do nothing to stop it. I became enraged and I slaughtered the enemy. No one lived to tell the world that a warrior from the Prince's army had died.

"My men were humbled by the death of their comrade. You see, they had believed that the Prince had made them indestructible, but in that moment they saw that it was not so. However, I was not so humbled. I convinced myself that he had died because he had not been loyal enough to me and I felt better about his death." Rien's gaze left the stars and fell back to the compound.

"As the years passed, other men died and I called them traitors and cared nothing of it, until there was one particular battle that we won, but half my warriors were slaughtered. I was devastated, and when I returned to the coven, I held court with my father, telling him of the number of men who had died because of their disloyalty. I had expected his outrage at their traitorous nature. I had even welcomed his harsh words against them and their family, but do you know what he said to me?"

I shook my head when his eyes met mine, and that same smile was back again. "He said 'Your men are not disloyal to you Riener. They are but men and men die, but you will live on forever and you will train many more warriors and your army will win many more battles.' It was then that I understood, and as he had said, I bred more warriors and I have never lost a battle, but in one thing he was wrong."

Rien paused, staring deep into my eyes as though willing me to read his thoughts. "I will not live on forever. One day I will lose a battle and the earth will rise up to meet me." I felt a hollowness in my chest at his words, and I felt the fear begin its course through my veins, until that glint of determination rose up in his eyes and his jaw set. "But tonight will not be that night. I will rise up above my brother and leave the victor of this battle. I do not say this with the foolish confidence of my youth, for I understand my own mortality. I say this because I am determined to have a long life with you and my heart cannot stop beating when I have already given it to you for safe keeping."