When You're Gone

***A/N: Dedicated to Hollykinz who well, inspired me in more way then one.  She is one of the best friends anyone could ask for.  Always supportive and everything!  Not to mention her story is ah-mazinggggg ;D   and it's because of her I decided to write this ^-^  This sort of corelates with my other short story 'Enchanted'.  You'll see what I mean at the end.  Anyways, enjoy :D

************************************************************************************************************

I wonder, sometimes, about the cruelty of this world.  When I do, I see nothing but a bleak terrain of nothingness.  That’s how the world should be: dead. 

Nothing should be able to live that long with such a burning hatred in it of human life.  Nothing.

I felt my fingers shake slightly as I picked up the picture.  My eyes settled upon his smile, a smile I would recognize anywhere, a smile I would never forget.  Trembling slightly, I felt a few hot tears escape my eyes but didn’t bother blinking them back.  Immediately, the hole that I had covered up so thoroughly reopened again, bringing back memories that I had tried so hard to forget.  Memories that I still wanted despite the pain it brought back.  It’s ironic how the human race is; the memories that bring us the greatest hurt are the memories we never really want to let go.

A smile tugged at the edge of my weary lips as I gazed into the picture with a hopeful desire.  My mind was brought back to the time it was taken; a time where everything went perfectly.  Even though several years had gone by since that happened, I still remembered it like it was yesterday.

It was evening when the best thing in the world came into my life, bringing with it a feeling that surpassed any others.  This feeling was a feeling so tremendous, it overpowered everything in it’s path only to reach the heart and cause it a pleasure nothing can possibly match.

The beginning of love.

I smiled, staring up at the sunset, my hands aching to paint the perfect picture of this beautiful scenery.  The blues and the purples dances across the sky, streaking it’s colors everywhere, while bright reds, oranges, and yellows filled the air with a fiery like feeling, spreading it‘s colors like a wildfire.  The sun was slowly sinking behind the mountains, stretching up it’s arms to wave bye one last time at the world, before going into it‘s peaceful slumber leaving the moon in it‘s wake.  My ears slightly perked up as I heard a soft scrambling noise.  Disregarding it as a wild animal, I slowly laid back, my head faced towards the sky and my back rustling the grass below.

When I did, I came face to face with the deepest brown eyes I’ve ever seen before.  My breath caught into my throat as I stared into those eyes, feeling myself getting lost in them.  After a moment of silence, I managed to pull away, frantically scrambling up and trying to regain my posture.

“Ah, I’m sorry,”  I hastily apologized, stuffing everything I had with me into my backpack.

“Oh no, it’s my apologies,”  he said, sounding a bit ruffled.  He ran a quick hand through his dirty blonde hair and smiled sheepishly at me, his eyes crinkling in a cute fashion.  Hesitantly, I grinned back.  “Isn’t it beautiful?”  he asked after another moment of silence.

For several second, I gawked at him before I realized he was referring to the sunset.  “Oh yes, beautiful!”  I quickly said.

He looked down at me, his eyes twinkling with a show of affection.  “You come here often?”

I shrugged, gazing back up at him, “I suppose.”

“I can see why.  So, what’s your name?”