"What about the...other thing?" I give him a pointed look.

"Yeah, just keep your eyes peeled." Poe gestures as if the First Order's spies are already within hearing distance. I look around suspiciously, despite my efforts to appear oblivious to their presence. Leia's orders echo in my mind as we trek farther into the cool, damp darkness.

* * * * * * * * * *

One day earlier...

"Poe, Finn, I need you for a moment," General Organa called out across the Resistance control room. I glanced up at Poe and he shrugged before heading over to where our still-mourning leader stood, examining the layout of a large, unfamiliar structure. She turned to us with her usual stern but caring expression and gestured for us to sit down at the table surrounding the illuminated map.

"How can we be of service, ma'am?" Poe asked in a formal tone. We'd been treading carefully around Leia since Han's death, not wanting to set her off or make her more upset than she already was.

"I need the two of you to run a recon mission to Coruscant," she stated bluntly. I frowned and looked at Poe, who was wearing a similar expression. What could the general possibly want with the polluted, partially abandoned urban wasteland? Really, it's just as useless and miserable as Jakku.

"Coruscant? Are you planning on rebuilding the Senate and capital in the old Imperial Center?" Poe questioned. 

Leia sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "No. I, well... I'm not sure yet. While it is true that I'm sending you there to investigate the condition of certain buildings that could be used for that purpose in the future, my main focus right now is the First Order."

"The First Order? I thought they went into hiding?" I tried to hide the concern in my voice.

"They did, for a while. But recently our scouts have had a sharp increase in sightings, including high-ranking officers leading raids on villages looking for any information on the location of our base." Leia pressed a few buttons and the projection zoomed out to show the entirety of the building she was studying earlier.

"What does that have to do with Coruscant?" I asked, rhythmically  tapping my fingers against the table.

"I was getting to that," the general grumbled. I ducked my head sheepishly. "The First Order and their...leader...are getting bolder, which means if we want our next encounter to be on our terms, we need to make the first move." She paused, making eye contact with both of us before continuing. "I want you to lead a unit of stormtroopers to Coruscant. Make it seem like you're just there to scope out the old Jedi temple; don't let them know you know they're following you. Let them track you when you leave, and we'll take care of the rest."

"What will you do with them?" 

Leia smirks. "Aggressive negotiations."

* * * * * * * * * *

As Poe and I ventured higher into the temple, the vast corridors grew brighter, warmer, and slightly more creepy. There was something about the contrast of the light and shadows against the cracked walls that emphasized the despair that laced through the veins of the structure.

"How much farther do we have to go?"

Poe shoots me an exasperated look. "What's wrong, afraid of the hawk-bats?"

"Hawk-what?! Are they here? Can they eat us?" I glance around nervously, though I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I've never seen one before.

"If they're hungry enough, yeah. You don't know what they are? Giant reptilian birds with scales instead of feathers? Razor-sharp teeth for tearing flesh? Prey on anything that moves?" Poe grins at me and I can't tell if he's serious or not. I puff my chest out a little and put on my brave face.