Chapter 14 October

October

Together, we gleefully hit, kicked, punched, and stomped him until he begged for mercy. Even when we heard Roger running down the stairs we didn't stop. We wanted Eddie to die. I was suddenly grabbed by the back of the neck and flung backwards. I hit the edge of the bed and fell face first onto the floor.

"Get off him. Get the fuck off him!" Roger cried as he grabbed a handful of Frank's hair and punched him in the mouth. He fell over backward, but lay there with a dazed, self-satisfied smile on his face. Roger bent over Eddie and cursed him.

"You fucking idiot. How many times have I told you not to come down here by yourself? And without your gun? How stupid are you? He's tougher than you are. You're lucky you didn't get your ass killed. Do you WANT them to get away?"

"No Dad, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry," Eddie sputtered.

Roger shook his head.

"Are you ready to end this? I don't think she's going to work out."

"No Dad, please, not yet. Let's give her one more chance,"

Roger turned and studied me. I was still sitting on the floor in front of the bed. "She ain't worth it, Son."

"Yes she is. Well, she might be, you don't know that,"

"I had your mother broke by now. This one ain't gonna give up. I say we just get rid of 'em now and find you someone better."

"No, Dad. Think of all the work we've put into them."

Roger shrugged. "Sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses."

He reached down, grabbed Eddie under his armpits and pulled him to a standing position. When Eddie's knees buckled, he grimaced and threw him over his shoulder. "You just got your ass beat by both. Why are you sticking up for her?

"Because I love her," Eddie continued to profess his love for me and beg as they headed to the door.

Roger turned and pointed to each of us slowly. "You know I'll be back. This will not go unpunished."

As soon as we couldn't hear them anymore, we jumped up and ran to each other. "Are you okay?" I gingerly touched his bleeding lip.

He waved my hand away. "I'm fine. You?"

"Yeah, no big deal. I've had worse."

"No kidding. October, we've GOT to get out of here. He's going to kill us when he gets back," He took a hold of my shoulders. "We've got to find a way out,"

"Okay, how? There is no way out. If there was, we'd have done it already."

"I know, fuck," He covered his eyes and began pacing. "We've got to come up with something."

I nodded, following him. "We've been trying, though, Frank, and you heard Eddie. He's not going to let Roger kill us,"

"Not yet, maybe. But it depends on how pissed he is about what we did. He's probably getting pretty tired of us not listening to him, and just goes ahead and does what he's wanted to do anyway."

"But Eddie said..."

Frank's eyes flashed. "Didn't you hear what Roger said? He's said you're not working out. He wants to get rid of us."

"Well what do you want me to do? Tell him I love him, give up, and let them kill you?"

"Yeah, definitely. That's what you should do. Duh." He spat.

We stood there glaring at each other for a moment, but I quickly shook my head. "Why are we fighting each other?"

His gaze softened. "I don't know. I'm sorry. None of this is your fault. I'm just worked up about what I know is going to happen."