letter four; tate

Dear Tate McRae,

I never really got to know you, which is why I am currently writing this.

You always wanted to be my friend, but I never showed interest. You repeatedly asked me to hang out and I created excuses every time.

I'm sorry. I truly regret not being your friend, and I wish that we would have talked more.

You always seem to find the little things so fascinating, which is something I admire in people. You thought that the sum of the world's parts was better than the whole.

Whenever you were chatting with someone, you found a way to make them laugh without trying.

I guess I was jealous. Jealous that you got along with people better than I do. That held me back from being your friend; I was too scared to be friends with someone that I was jealous of. I was scared that I would hurt you later on.

When you read this, please don't feel guilty because of this. You're not guilty; I am. I'm the one who perceived the situation in the wrong way. You were only trying to be friends with me.

Please forgive me. Even though I will be dead when you read this, I will be happy. Or at least, I would have been happy.

Your New Friend that You Will Never Talk to,
Jaycee Wilkins