Chapter 24

"You've been a busy girl these past few weeks." The voice murmured into Julia's ear as she laid over her desk, barely conscious. She struggled to move her limbs, but it was as though she lacked the energy to. Her chest felt heavy, her breathing steady, but her mind screamed at her to run.

She couldn't.

He must have paralyzed her somehow.

The man moved over to her, caging her with his body and arms as he started dragging the mouse to her computer around. He chuckled as he clicked around, and she felt him shake his head. "I see, someone was listening to us. Interesting." Reaching down, he tucked a piece of hair behind Julia's ear, and a chill ran down her body, rejecting his touch even in her current state.

"I prefer it when you're awake." The voice admitted as he shrugged, wrapping his arms around her. "You're feistier and more of a challenge. Plus, that glare you gave me when we first met was just so thrilling." He easily lifted Julia off the chair, adjusting her so she was leaning against his chest. "But...you do look cute when you sleep, so I don't mind this version of you either."

She swayed in his arms as he turned to walk the room, leading her to believe that he would abduct her right out of her house. The thought disappeared when he laid her down on her bed and left her alone for a moment. He continued to speak.

"Isn't it funny how fast things could happen?" He questioned, pacing around her room slowly as if he were looking for something. "A life of an agent, I suppose—ah, this looks like a good spot." He moved back over to her, hovering above her for a few moments before dragging his hand down the side of her waist and further down to her leg. "A knife strapped to your thigh...very hot." Without hesitation, he slid his hand inside her pants and grabbed the knife, disarming her. "I'll be using this, if you don't mind. Is that okay?"

If she could actually respond to him instead of being able to hear him in this stupid state, she'd do so much more than just say no.

He chuckled again, his body shaking above her before giving her the personal space that she wanted. Was he amused about the fact that she couldn't answer him back? The stupid, little prick.

Her bed sunk in on her right side. Sensing that he wasn't sitting next to her, Julia concluded that he was standing right on the mattress. Seconds later, she heard a scratching sound before dust particles began falling onto her.

Was he carving something onto her wall?

It continued this way for about five more minutes, smooth and jagged strokes being the only thing she heard from the figure standing above her. It was starting to drive her insane.

"Alright," he sighed happily before she heard a loud thump. "I'm just going to leave that there for you. I wouldn't want to give you your weapon back just in case you wake up when I'm still around." He paused. "Then again, I doubt you could do much against me with a knife, considering Virtus' idiotic gun policy."

He was aware of Virtus guidelines? That wasn't common knowledge for those outside of the agency.

"Knocked out Julia is starting to be no fun." He whined, irritating her with how he spoke to her so personally, as if they knew one another. There was a shift from his position as he caged her under him once more. Both of his arms were resting on either side of her face, and she knew he was close when she felt his cool breath on her. "You know, it's funny how far from an agent you can be. I'm afraid you're still a bit too innocent for this life. Expect me again on your birthday; I wouldn't want to miss it." He got off her, a silky laugh echoing around her room.

Suddenly, something pressed against her mouth for a few moments before it was gone. Footsteps were retreating from her, and she was grateful that he was leaving her alone. She had been ill prepared for his appearance, and the possibilities of how this could have ended had started to plague her.