Anna

This assignment is really kicking my ass. I have to write an essay, convincing the reader about a conspiracy. I was going to do werewolves but I might slip up.

The front door opens and closes. "Where's my Anna?"

"Bedroom," I reply.

Bennett's place is really nice. I didn't think it would be clean or aesthetically pleasing. It's very minimalist with fairy lights, squared furniture, and it has neutral colors. He helped me design my room and he did a pretty damn good job on it.

I was low-key dreading living with him, but now that I've been with him for a few weeks, he's a good roommate.

Bennett walks in my room with a bag of Chinese take-out. "Where have you been all day?" I ask, swiveling in my chair.

"I went to get... groceries."

"Where are they?"

"Chinese!" He holds up the bag. I let him slide but only because of the Chinese. I stand and follow him into the kitchen. "It's snowing."

Getting used to the snow has been the only difficulty here—well the traffic too. But going from your shoes melting on the asphalt, to having them freeze instead, well let's just say I'm surprised I haven't lost a toe yet.

"What have you been doing all day?" Bennett asks, taking out the boxes of Chinese.

"I'm just trying to work on this conspiracy project. I have to convince the reader." I roll my eyes. Bennett hands me chopsticks.

"Write about werewolves. I'm sure someone who is one can prove they exist." I twirl noodles around the tip of the stick.

"I thought about that, but I don't want to be too convincing."

Bennett rolls his eyes. "Fail the assignment then." He walks off and plops on the couch.

I open my mouth to retort, but my phone rings. It's Sara. I miss her and Dean terribly. My aunts too, but they're family, it's different.

"Sara!"

"Ask if she's pregnant yet," Bennett says, with a mouth full of chicken.

"Tell Bennett no," Sara says, laughing.

I laugh. "How's Arizona treating you. Does Tristan miss me?"

"Terribly, he won't stop talking about you." I smile. There's silence on the line and its filled with sorrow. I miss Arizona. "What's being alpha like? Is it as fun as you thought it'd be?"

"Oh definitely. I'm a great alpha, everyone says so. An older woman told me that I'm the perfect balance between leader and friend. Dean never got any of that." She chuckles.

Fiddling with my necklace, I look at the red stone in the middle of the ring. I forgot to give it back to him at the airport. He's since told me that I should keep it. But it's a representation of him being alpha. He deserves to hold the title.

"How is he?"

She's quiet for a few seconds. "He got a lot of shit from the other alphas. They keep bagging on him."

"At least its over now though, right?"

Bennett gets off the couch. He tosses out his empty container. "Anna, take out the trash." He looks at his phone and types a response.

"You take out the trash. I'm on the phone and it's dark and cold outside."

"I can't hear you, I'm busier." He spits his tongue at me and walks out.

Sara laughs. "You good."

"Yeah, Bennett's just being an ass. Dean's okay though, right?" I pick up the trash bag. I walk to the door and slide my coat and boots on.

"Yeah, he's better. We haven't spoken in a few days. He's been really busy lately."

"Doing what?"

"I don't know," she says quickly.

I open the door. The cold slides against my skin, sending a shiver. "I'm going to kill Bennett."

"That cold?"

"Yeah." I walk to the curb and set the trash bag down. "I can't believe I actually miss Arizona for its heat."

"I wish I could feel the cold. It got up to ninety today."

I look around the street. It's actually empty. There are only cars parked along the curb. They'll be buried in snow depending on how much we get.

"I'll take ninety any day." I turn around and freeze.

"Hi."

"Sara, I'll call you back."

"Is he there?"

"Uh-uh." I hang up.

He wears a black fleece jacket and his usual business pants and shoes. His hair is speckled with snow as it falls heavier. And he smiles at me with his cracked lips and pink nose.

"What are you doing here?"

"I left," Dean says. Shoving his hands in his pockets, he approaches me.

"What do you mean 'you left'?" I wrap my arms around myself. The snowfall gets heavier.

A cloud puffs out of his lips. "The pack. I gave the title to Sara, she's alpha."

I glance at the flickering street lamp across the road. "Why'd you do that, Dean?" I meet his eyes. He looks at the ground.

"I was never a good alpha." He shrugs. "Sara always knew what to say and do. She earned Alexia's title and she deserved mine."

I'd hate to agree, but Sara has always had the best advice. And it was her dream to be alpha, but she knew it could never happen because Dean would have to die for her to have the title. Being an advisor for him was the next dream. And look at that, she gained two packs in the span of a month.

"Also because I was hoping we could pick up where you cut it off."

I try to hide my smile, but it's impossible. "You became an omega for that? For that small possibility that I might say yes?" I look away but glance back at him. "We're not mates."

"Not as mates then," he says, taking a final step and stopping in front of me. In the small distance between us, his warmth soaks into me. "Let's just see where it takes us."

How could I deny? He had come half-way across the country, lost his alpha title—scratch that—gave up his alpha title, and became an omega because he wanted an opportunity with me (and he didn't feel worthy as an alpha but I'm ignoring that bit). How can I say no? But then again, I don't really want to say no.