Dean

Daphne stands in front of me. Darryl is beside her. Katie sits at the table. She chews on her pen nervously.

"Did the connection get cut?"

"It's just silent on her end. It'd be static if the connection was cut."

"Are you suggesting something?"

Daphne and Darryl share a look. Darryl speaks up. "We think something could've happened to them."

"See, we have protocol," Daphne says. "Eve and Emily aren't the type to forget about it. They're my best, you wanted the best."

I stay silent. I don't want to hear what I think she's going to say. If two of my best patrols are AWOL...

"We think they're dead."

I pinch the bridge of my nose. "Can you guys leave?"

"What? Dean—"

"Leave!" I turn my back. "Katie, you too."

"But, Dean?" I send her a look. "Okay."

The door opens and they all walk out. I wait until the second door shuts before pulling my phone out. I call Warren.

He doesn't answer so I call Sean. I leave him a message when he doesn't answer.

I toss my phone on the table and sit down. I rest my head in my hands. What am I to do? I'm losing my pack. My uncles are gone. I haven't spoken to them in probably a week. Two of my patrols are gone. Who knows if they're dead, or unconscious somewhere. They're probably dead.

Alexia is closing in on me. She took my patrols and uncles. She'll probably send someone for Sara or Anna, maybe even both. No one is safe and its all because of me. I should've let my uncles take over the pack all them years ago. All I've done is make a mess of my life.

I can't even wear the Blackwood ring. And I gave it to Anna. Why? All so I could keep up with another lie in my life. I should've given the pack to Sara and left with Bennett. She knows how to lead.

I grab my phone and type out a text to Anna. I stare at it for sometime before hurling my phone across the room, breaking it into two pieces.

I leave the office.

The air outside is warm. Kids bark, some laugh. Two neighbors chat on the patio. A beer clinks. Nobody knows that I'm a failure. That they're all in danger. All because Alexia wants something.

The gates of the community should hold. But what about the forest at the back of the neighborhood. They stay unprotected except for at night. I have to amp up on security.

But first, I need to clear my head.

I bring my wolf to the surface and he jumps at the opportunity. My shoulder pinches. My clothes rip. I shake off my fur and give in to the canine.

My wolves give me undivided attention. I ignore them and continue my pace to the forest. I pass the playground where my pups either charge at me and nip my tail or they call my name. But I continue my pace towards the forest.

I pass the community pool next where I undoubtedly smell Anna in the chlorine. And her attention falls on me. I stare at her as I walk past. My ear twitches with her voice. I look forward.

I pass houses and finally approach the forest. Its fresh and full of life. I bound into it and run past the trees.

I run to the rushing water and splash in the shallow creek. I flop on my side and close my eyes. I'll let the forest take me.