He says he and William are talking to the King about how you displeased us by showing your love and affection for him rather too quickly. . . and openly." Uncle smirked. "Seems to be working quite well."

"You better hope he forgives you." Mother sighed.

"Tomorrow, there is to be a joust tournament. . . The King will probably forget about this whole ordeal." Uncle said drinking his wine. "You may go, until we figure out what to do with you."

I bowed my head and left.

_____________________________________

All the ladies of the court sat under the yellow tent, prepared to watch the tournament. They tossed their hair back and plastered fake smiles on their faces as the King was approaching our tent in his shiny, golden yellow suit of armor. He looked handsome as always. Tall, tan, fit, and athletic.

I sat silently, bothering with my deep purple dress to ignore the King. It had been two days since we last saw eachother. I decided I was to leave back to the French court during the tournament.

"Mistress Marie?" A familiar voice called.

I raised my head and smiled at the Duke of Suffolk, Charles Brandon.

"Oh it is you!" He smiled as he knelt down and kissed my hand. "I am most delighted to see you."

King Henry came and watched how Charles adored me.

"You and I both." I blushed.

The King looked a bit angry.

"Come Marie. I have something to ask of you." Charles stood, offering me his hand.

I looked at King Henry, who shot Charles a death glare.

I stared at Charles hand, not knowing if I should take it or not.

Just then, a young man who worked for my uncle, came running to me.

"Excuse me." I said to Charles as I walked up to the young man who was waiting for me by a large tree.

"Mistress Marie, Your carriage is arriving soon. . . We should start-" He started before the King came over.

"Where are you going?" The King asked me.

I curtsied.

"I'll be a second." I told the young man. He nodded and left.

The king waited for my answer.

"I have insulted you greatly, my Lord. I have not been able to sleep nor eat. . . I have been in utter distress. Perhaps I let my affection for you show far too much. . . I have decided to return to the French court, hoping to forget about this all." I sighed.

"Your father and brother have told me of your distress. I hope I do right by saying you can stay." He smiled cupping my hands in his.

"No, my Lord. This is too difficult to bare. . . We've known eachother for such a short time, yet I find myself falling prey to you." I said looking away.

"Please stay here at court with me. For I will be half gone without you here." He pleaded his face close to mine, his hands now gently holding me by the elbows.

The young man came again.

"Your carriage awaits you, Mistress Marie." The young man said looking at the King and I.

I nodded, he stepped away.

"I'm sorry, My Lord." I bowed my head, tears filling my eyes. "For the French court awaits me."

"Will you show him the same affection?" The kings eyes, wide, wiping my tears away.

"I beg your pardon?" I asked.

"Show the King of France the same affection you have for me."

"Of course not. For you are the only one who has stolen my heart and still have it."

He looked down then back up again. "Give me your scarf. I shall wear it over my heart as I joust."

I gave him my cream scarf, he put it under his breast plate.

"I beg you, don't go. I know it is your family who sends you away. . . " He said cupping my hands again.

I curtsied.

"I bid you farewell, my sweet Lord." I smiled

He gave my hand a long kiss.

"The court is moving next month. . . to Windsor castle. . . I'll send for you." He promised. "Or before then."

I curtsied once more and kissed his ring. He looked rather hurt that I went to kiss his ring, before his lips.

I smiled and began on my way.